The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never had deficiency in my goats. Not sure if it was the long winter followed by the wet spring or what.
Don’t quote me, but if my memory serves me well, it’s 1 gram per 22lbs.
Questions is, the bolus containers say 4 gram per bolus an 2 gram per bolus (adult and kid) On the ingredients it says 3.4 grams and 1.7 grams copper.
So do I go off the first set or second set as far as the grams go?

Thanks in advance for the help.
I appreciate it!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Questions is, the bolus containers say 4 gram per bolus an 2 gram per bolus (adult and kid) On the ingredients it says 3.4 grams and 1.7 grams copper.
So do I go off the first set or second set as far as the grams go?
Personally I would open the capsules and weigh 1 gram per 22 pounds and either put the dose in a new capsule to dose or a syringe topped with probiotics. (I Cut the tip off the syringe..lightly sand any sharp edges)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I’m just wondering what dosage amount I go off of. The one in the front that says 4 gram bolus or the one on the ingredient side that’s reading a lesser amount; 3.4grams...to me that’s .6 of a gram so that’s a 10lb difference as far as weight...kind of a big deal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I would open the capsules and weigh 1 gram per 22 pounds and either put the dose in a new capsule to dose or a syringe topped with probiotics. (I Cut the tip off the syringe..lightly sand any sharp edges)
I don't have any capsules to put it back in. I have a bolusing tool. Just want to make sure I'm giving them enough. I wouldn't think the empty capsule would weigh .6 grams...but maybe it does lol

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
It is hard to dose correctly with 4 and 2 gram bolus being your only choice. 4 grams is a dose for 88 pounds and 2 gram is for 44 pounds. So you will either be under dosing a large goat or over dosing a small one. The package is misleading giving weight ranges. I understand its what you have on hand and you will need to come close as you can based on weight. Sorry for the book lol
On the weight of your capsule..i would go by what the ingredients listing says.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I rather dose correct and less often. Research has been done on the effectiveness and safe dosage of 1 gram per 22 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
It is OK to under dose a bit, not knowing weight. And especially if you have loose salt and minerals out free choice and may be feeding a feed with copper in it.
We don't have a measuring gauge, which tells us just how deficient they are, so it is best to underdose a bit than to over dose. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts