The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two of my three Nubian does showing some copper deficiencies. The doe due in less than five weeks has developed some hair loss along her back legs and backside. She also is a black doe and her upper and lower legs have a rusty coloring now. I have copper bolused her a few times before getting bred and the copper immediately had helped to create a nice, black sleek coat all over. She had had that rusty coloring before, but the copper always helped.

The other doe looks alright with the exception of a fish tail that began about two-three weeks ago. Her coat also doesn't look as shiny, but she's mostly a brown goat with white underneath. she is due May 5.

I'm so nervous to give them any copper wires because they are pregnant. They get different minerals, all of which have copper in them. I would prefer to wait until they give birth.

They definitely eat down their minerals and I give them Land of Havilah parasite formula 2-3 times a week with essential oils.

They also get selenium/vit E gel every 3 weeks now. They were getting that weekly for a while, but now get it every three weeks.

They also don't get water from our outside well. All the goats get water from inside the house after it has gone through the water softener. We have a utility sink and fill up the buckets there and they get water twice to three times a day from there.

My BIGGEST fear is for the black doe. I have posted about her several times. It's a miracle she's currently pregnant! she has a history of three week old premies that didn't make it and the following year an early miscarriage. It took over a year to get her pregnant this year and she had been with a buck several times. It's been a long road for her and us and I really pray she has these babies in good health and that all her babies survive.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Definitely coarse, wirey, curling, and rust colored hair can be attributed to copper deficiency but the hair loss may not be. Can you post photos of the hair loss?

What is the last date they were bolused and how many grams was given?

Generally aim for 1 gram per 22lbs roughly.

Definitely no risk to bolusing during pregnancy if they need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts