The Goat Spot Forum banner

Copper Bolus....Failure!!

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Micgrace 
#1 ·
Attempted to copper boluse my small herd this morning, but stopped after the first 2. My older doe I heard her crunching it. Will this hurt her in any way? I really wanted it to work for her. The second attempt was on a younger doe and I thought I got it down her throat and might have but I could have swore I her her crunching it. My last attempt was on another small doe and was going to try the ball gun(the blue one) and I couldnt fine the opening to her thoat and it ended up in the side of you mouth and I got it and through it away.......any helpful hints from anyone on how I can do this? I still have small does and 2 bucks. Trust me one of my bucks is big and I want to make sure I do it right.

#2 ·
no it wont hurt them if they chew it -- not ideal because the rods dont get to do a slow release but they can still do some.

one way is to put the capsule in their food and they eat it that way. Another is to put the rods in something you can drench them with (Ive used jelly, smashed bananas and apple sauce.

#6 ·
While doing my buck... He is over 200 lbs... I get two leashes. I tie him to the fence with both leashes... One going to the left and one to the right. He only has an inch to move either way. I go in and am able to work with him and not worry about being at the butt end of a bad joke! Just make sure his collar wont come off!

I hold his head up with one hand. I shoot the pill down his throat with the pill pusher. I have found if you use the small pill pusher, and not the one for cows, ( mine is brown) it works much more easier! I keep holding the head UP until I feel them swallow or can tell they are not chewing ... I ahve one goat who is good at spitting them out, so I keep her head up longer, and I am getting better at getting them further down.

For the last 3 months, I have tried putting the copper in marsh mellows but it seems to only last for 3 weeks. This time I did it with the pill pusher, hopefully it will last 3 months! .

#11 ·
I have tried many options and the only way that works for me is ------

I never throw out my horse worming tubes. Get one of those and rinse out. Put a spoonful of applesauce in a small cup and add the rods. Mix and put into worming tube. Get goat on milk stand or between your legs and drench. They swallow it right up without any to very little crunching.

HTH

#12 ·
I have tried every way said on here, except for littlebleats, but the drench idea does not seem to work for me because it takes like 5 times filling it up with water to get some to go threw the hole. The treat idea was ok, but still your right you dont really want them to eat the rods and I want what I paid for to go into that goat the way it should lol. What size capsules are you using? If they are like human size ones like for the small ones then the pill pusher is a must. I use these on the does and bucks
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07699-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&gas=gel capsuls
the small size, they are great with that blue balling gun, and the blue balling gun is awsome for a larger goat. I was having the same issues as you were, but then I got my hands on my brat goat, I dont even like her all that much, she ended up biting me which made me mad, I pushed that sucker in there and pushed the pill in. I, and most likely you are not pushing it far enough back. I know you dont want to hurt them and Im sure thats in the back of your mind but you need to be just need to be firm about doing it. Usually what I do is slid the blue gun in between their front and back teeth on the side, when they start fighting and opening their mouth I hold them with my hand in their mouth and grab the top front of the mouth and hold their head way up. I have done 100's now and I still have some that can hack it back up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.