The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have been normally been giving boluses in dates.. till the goats saw through that. I have tried multiple other things but they won't eat em and even if I force feed they will NOT eat it just keep spitting it out even if I hold their mouth close! I have been thinking a gun would be the best way to go. I am just wondering what is a good one since I have heard of many that are supposed to but don't fit the 4 g boluses.... or a 2 g gun would be good too. Any help? Thanks,
@healthyishappy

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
The small calf balling gun is going to be too big for the 2 and 4 grams. That's what I use for the blouses I give (9 grams) and this is the size of the bolus
IMG_1575822685.062171.jpg

BUT I read one of the reviews and they said a little peanut butter on the end and it stays. For $2 it's worth trying it that way.
FYI though Tractor supply, valley vet and probably Jeffers also has the small balling gun like that, so if you have more things you need you could probably save on shipping and go with the other two stores or just run to tractor supply ;)
One thing though about the $44 one, I have a larger one with the rubber on the tip, and I do like it more then the hard plastic. There has been a few times that I have used the hard plastic and have scraped them with it and it has come out with a little skin on it. It doesn't seem to bother them but it did me. Also I have gone threw about 4 in 10 years, I don't see this one ever breaking. Plus in your case you know it is going to work ;)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The small calf balling gun is going to be too big for the 2 and 4 grams. That's what I use for the blouses I give (9 grams) and this is the size of the bolus
View attachment 166929
BUT I read one of the reviews and they said a little peanut butter on the end and it stays. For $2 it's worth trying it that way.
FYI though Tractor supply, valley vet and probably Jeffers also has the small balling gun like that, so if you have more things you need you could probably save on shipping and go with the other two stores or just run to tractor supply ;)
One thing though about the $44 one, I have a larger one with the rubber on the tip, and I do like it more then the hard plastic. There has been a few times that I have used the hard plastic and have scraped them with it and it has come out with a little skin on it. It doesn't seem to bother them but it did me. Also I have gone threw about 4 in 10 years, I don't see this one ever breaking. Plus in your case you know it is going to work ;)
Alright. Thanks. I kinda need a 2 g one cause I have nigi's... unless 4 g isn't too much to give them every two to three months. I think it would be though.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks like there is two sizes there so just watch which one you pick
Oh! That is just perfect! I wanted both a 4 and 2 g size. Thanks! I didn't notice that!

Just curious, anybody know what the chances are that you put the bolus down the esophagus? And how do you avoid that?

Also i've heard that some goats will spit up the boluses a few minutes after you give them. To avoid having that happen could you just give them something to eat afterwards to make sure it goes into their rumen? Like grain.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have done 100’s and 100’s and have never had it go down the wrong pipe.
To keep them from hacking it back up (or less of a chance) after you get its down then hold their head up for a few seconds. You can try rubbing her neck to encourage swallowing but I’ve ever done that. Just holding the head up and mouth shut seems to do the trick

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
To answer one of your questions, the bolus is supposed to be given every few months to once a year, so 4 grams every few months is just perfect. but remember to only give as needed, not on a schedule. I don't really think you need the 2 grams at all.

The 4 gram size on both brands is the same size capsule. You can buy the capsules, and save money by opening up the calf sized boluses and filling the smaller capsules.

I used the one that Toth showed you. The 4 gram size fit just fine.

You can also take a 4 gram capsule with you when you go to regular physical stores, so you can look and physically handle those balling guns and see if the capsule fits.

Try to keep the head and throat pulled level and don't let them twist upwards. I know it is hard, but if you try you'll succeed far more often than if you don't try. Pulled forward and level is the most ideal positioning for getting the bolus down safely. I let the head go up after when I am doubtful she swallowed, but by then the gun is away from her throat.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To answer one of your questions, the bolus is supposed to be given every few months to once a year, so 4 grams every few months is just perfect. but remember to only give as needed, not on a schedule. I don't really think you need the 2 grams at all.
I don't give it on a schedule. But sometimes like right now I have a little nigi who I doubt weighs even 40 lbs and she wasn't very copper deficient so I thought 4 would be too much. Anyway its only $4 for each.
The 4 gram size on both brands is the same size capsule. You can buy the capsules, and save money by opening up the calf sized boluses and filling the smaller capsules.
Thats what im planning on doing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts