The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know I've had quite a time getting boluses TO the island. Well, I finally middle of June, and now here is the month update on everyone.

1 day after bolus - http://www.thegoatspot.net/photo/albums/my-girls,-day-1-after-bolus-247.html

2 months after bolus - http://www.thegoatspot.net/photo/albums/two-months-after-bolus-294.html

Do you think I should re-bolus them? Buttercup (the black one) still has a twinge of rust, and they both still have fish tails.

And, I just had to add these pics b/c (1) I love Buttercup's face; and (2) that's one of our blasted dogs trying to be cute (he's the chicken killer....). haha

Attachments

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
WOw, what an improvement...color is much much better...I still see a bit of fish tail and tiny bit of rust as you said...I would re bolus 3 months after the first dose...then see if a third dose is needed...then do twice a year to maintain balance ...;)

PS Buddy us a cutie

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
They look pretty good. That red tinge on the ends probably won't go away until they get their next coat or if you shave them. You can really see a difference when you bolus in the winter then shave all that old copper deficient hair off in the spring, the new hair will grow in nice and shiny :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
They're cute! Lots of improvement. Lol, the dog looks like he's being dumb and cute. :p
I would like to see Missy with a haircut; I bet she would look very elegant. :lovey: But she's cute and fuzzy how she is. :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh...missy just LOOKS elegant, especially in those pictures. she's definitely not that! I do like her fuzz, and i'm not about to try to shave her down. she's a bit of a wild one.....

as for Morris the dog, he IS dumb! haha

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Haha, I shaved my buck a few days ago (phew, stinky!). good thing he has horns, or I wouldn't have been able to hold him; he's kinda shy. ;)

·
Goat Mom
829 Posts
Here's my issue with copper blousing,my black goats undercoat is rusty colored,as he shredded out his baby fur his undercoat showed making him look rusty,if I had put up a picture of him everyone would have suggested blousing. I asked my vet and what she said was,she sees more issues with copper toxicity than issues with lack of copper. Fast forward 1-2 months new coat is fully grown in,black,sleek,and beautiful,no copper needed. You should apparently test before blousing to be safe,I suppose it depends a lot where you live and mineral content of the soil and such,but I'm glad I waited to see how he would look on his own post shed.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Haha, I shaved my buck a few days ago (phew, stinky!). good thing he has horns, or I wouldn't have been able to hold him; he's kinda shy
We just did hooves on our boys who are in full rut!! YUK and they are loveable at that and wanted to share kisses..lol...my son and I play rock paper scissors to see who gets the shower first...lol..the other sits outside until our turn lol..

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks GTAllen!

Jodi-berg - I would love to have things tested, and to be able to have a vet that understand goats, but it's not possible for where I am. if you look at Buttercup's before pictures, you would see that her coat was severely rusted out AND rough. Missy still has a really rough coat and both have fish tails still. I think in my instance, the copper was helpful. also, I have read that there is inherent copper deficiency in tropical climates, which is where we are. lastly, from what I've read, the only reliable copper test is to biopsy their liver. blood test does not provide enough reliable information on copper needs on the goat. so, unless one of my goaties die, I can't get a biopsy. just, and fyi on why I chose to bolus. :)

Cathy and Sarah - oh dear....I can't imagine having to handle a smelly buck! peeeeeee-eeww!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nchen7 - What a brilliant idea taking pictures before and after! I wish I had done that. There's a huge difference and they both are looking beautiful!

Happybleats and Byccombe - My boys are stinking to the high heavens and then they come over for a loving pet from me and I don't want to touch them. 2 like to come up for kisses, taught to them by their previous owner when they were babies. I don't do kisses. These boys are tending to their privates one second then, heading my way for a hug and kiss. No thanks! lol

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ HAHAHAHA!!! i'm glad I decided to wether our buckling. I don't know that I can live with a stinky buck......

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL All last year, I kept asking my husband if I smelled like a buck every time I had to go to run errands. The smell is bad but after a while, I just started ignoring it. I'd catch little wiff's of buck smell when I was doing things around the house and would smell my shirt or my hands. I was so worried I smelled like them and I probably did. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts