The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing research on goats the past two years so that I could get a few at my house, and this year, my parents have finally allowed me to start putting up fencing, building shelter, etc. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, so I came to this site to learn. Well, I've seen quite a few threads with the title "Copper Bolus" and, well, I don't know what it means. What does it mean? :whatgoat: Can someone please share?
Happy Trails! :goattruck:
Katie B.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hopefully someone experienced can answer your question in detail. I'm new, but from what I've read and understand, goats need copper. Copper Bolus I THINK is a capsule of copper you give them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you; that makes sense.:D

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
A copper bolus contains tiny copper oxide rods that, once in the rumen, lodge themselves in the rumen lining to be slowly dissolved/used by the animal. You give them using a bolus (kind of like a giant pill capsule) mostly to make sure they get all of the rods and because it can be easier than getting them to eat the rods. I have heard of people putting the rods in with some sweet feed and getting the goat to eat it and also putting the rods in a marshmellow.

You want to give a goat a copper bolus if they are showing signs of a copper deficiency.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts