Copper Bolus

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by shadycreekgoats, Sep 20, 2010.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I was just given some copper boluses by someone,and my does need copper, so I got a balling gun; I don't know how to give it to them-I tried marshmallows and a couple other types of 'treats', but they didn't really like them (they are very picky :roll: lol).

How do I give it to them with a balling gun?

Thanks! :)

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have never used a balling gun -

Is what I have done is cut off the tip of a syringe. then I put the copper rods (for the correct weight) into the sringe and added water - then I put the syringe in the back of their throat and down the hatch it goes. i have had to refil syringe with water once or twice to get all the rods to go down. Have thought about trying in yogurt .... might work a bit better :)

3. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Put a big glop of peanut butter in the end of the balling gun, shove the bolus into the peanut butter and then get the balling gun as far back in the mouth as you can and press the plunger, remove balling gun, and hold their mouth moslty closed (they need a little bit of room for thier tongue to work the peanut butter) and keep their head up for a minute so they can't spit any of it out. The peanut butter will hold the bolus in the gun until you are ready to push it out and they get so busy working on swallowing the peanut butter that most of the time they don't realize there is a bolus in there. Sometimes they still crunch a bolus but I haven't noticed that that is a huge cause for concern as long as they still swallow it.

This is what works for me and I am sure there are a lot of good methods out there. Bolusing is a two person job for us. I hold the goats mouth open, using the thumb of the hand holding the lower jaw as a tongue depressor, while my mother operates the balling gun. Then I close the mouth and hold the head up while she reloads the balling gun. We cut the end of the gun off just before it widens out. It is only able to hold one bolus at a time then but it is also much easier to get intot he back of their mouth.

4. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks so much! :) I will defiantly try that and let you know how it goes!! :thumbup:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Allison my friend used applesauce, I have heard of using mashed banana --- might be easier then water and you can have it all premade up and just dose away.

6. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks Stacey!! I will try that tonight when I do it. :)