The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about copper bolus. The website I am getting them from says several things that I need clarification on from you goat people...

http://www.scbt.com/datasheet-363568-ultracruz-goat-copper-bolus.html

I have a goat that has a "rusty" coat and I was told I need copper bolus.

My questions are...

should I use once a year? How would I know how often?
"Goats over 50 lbs bodyweight and over 3 months of age: 1 (4 g) capsule. A single dose typically lasts 8 months to 1 year."

Should I not use free choice minerals EVER?
"Do not administer to goats of unknown copper status or those supplemented with other sources of copper."

Thanks, here is the girl in question...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You just have to judge by your goats how often. People give it anywhere from 4 times a year to never. Every farm is different so we can't give you a concrete answer.

You should absolutely have your mineral out free choice. Most people need both free choice mineral and copper bolus to keep proper copper levels going in a goat.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I agree...loose minerals out free choice...the goats are pretty smart and know what they need...they will only eat when they need it and only as much as they need. Dont panic if they eat a ton at first...once they have had their fill of what they need it will slow down..
as for copper..As Karen said..depends on what yours needs are...a few things come to play...Is your area Copper deficiant? Is the area you get your hay and alfalfa Copper Deficiant? ..you can google a map to find out...If your area is good on copper but has high iron or your loose minerals have too much iron then you still may need to bolus..since too high of iron can prevent sufficiant copper absorption..same with too much zinc and sulfur
Copper is 1 gram per 22# or 1 cc per 60#...
here is a good article ...
http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts