The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my one doe needs some extra copper, but I'm not sure. What color do brownish red goats turn when they need copper? Her back is turning more blondish, gold. I don't know if she has a fishtail because i trimmed her tail when she kidded so it wouldn't get so gross. I have loose minerals out and they eat at it often. Her back was always lighter than the front of her, but it seems to be getting a bit lighter, if she's not as copper deficient as I think, will it hurt her if I go ahead and bolus, my one other doe that is black has a little patch smaller than my hand that the tips of her hair are red, should I bolus her too? What brand of copper bolus do you guys use? I see some of you copper bolus every 3 to 6 months, do you bolus that often because you see they need it or do they just need that much all through their life?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,614 Posts
Posting a picture of the doe in question will help us see if it's needed. ;)

Goats will get rough hair in addition to color change when deficient. I bolus every three months because that's the frequency I've figured out will work to keep my goats from becoming deficient. I use ultra cruz copper boluses that you can get on amazon.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Goats will get rough hair in addition to color change when deficient. I bolus every three months because that's the frequency I've figured out will work to keep my goats from becoming deficient. I use ultra cruz copper boluses that you can get on amazon.
at the moment i can't get pictures but i can in a few hours

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,614 Posts
The OP said that the goat's tail is shaved and so she can't check fish tail.

Does her coat look rough? I.e. not shiny/kind of curly. Does she feel soft when you pet her or rough, especially on her neck and back legs? I think that her back end is just more blonde than the rest of body so from a picture of color alone, it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The OP said that the goat's tail is shaved and so she can't check fish tail.

Does her coat look rough? I.e. not shiny/kind of curly. Does she feel soft when you pet her or rough, especially on her neck and back legs? I think that her back end is just more blonde than the rest of body so from a picture of color alone, it's hard to tell.
She’s not my softest goat, but it’s doesn’t feel like rough pig hair or anything

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.