The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July I purchased 3 Nubians, 2 of whom are pregnant. I could tell they needed copper and so I quickly administered a copper bolus to each of them. Later the seller confirmed she had never given copper and did not know the signs of a deficiency. I have been informed that Bella is due some time in Oct. or Nov. Bella is a black and her hair has improved with the copper. I would like to copper all the goats again in Oct. Is there any danger of giving copper so close to kidding?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I dont think there is a danger, but it can be stressful, if she is due in October, I might wait until she kids then bolus her..but she should be fine if you choose to do it before..

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will go ahead and bolus her. The thing is she is due sometime in Oct. or Nov. She spent awhile with the buck so a time cannot be narrowed down. I can see her sides growing wider and her udder is much fuller then when I purchased her, but at the moment no signs she may kid soon. If that changes I will wait to bolus her, but right now I am aiming for doing it in a few weeks (mid. Oct.).

·
1,524 Posts
I bolus when mine are about 2 months bred. Never a problem. However, I put the rods on a piece of bread or donut, roll it up around the rods and then feed it to the goats. They gobble it right down.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased the goats and bolused them around mid-July. Should I just go ahead and give her the copper a little bit early or wait tell mid-Oct considering that I have no idea when Bella will actually kid?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You will have to figure out how often for your farm. Many people do it twice a year.

I dose at 1cc per 60 lbs. I cut the tip off a 3cc syringe. Put the rods in. Thrn top it with Probios to hold the rods in.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bolus depending on the goat. Black goats just need more copper. Bella is black and her hair color improved greatly after being given copper in July. I have 2 more black goats that I plan on giving copper. Then I have 1 brown Nubian, 1 tan mixed dairy, and 2 Boer goats. I have not made a decision yet on the brown Nubian, but the other 3 probably don't need copper right now.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
All mine get done every 3-4 and that falls on doing them a month before they kid. I use a balling gun and they do just fine. I like to do it before they kid because they just freak if their kids are not right there with them. So in the end its less stressful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts