Aug 18, 2015
    GPS1504 submitted a new Article:

Copper Bolusing Your Goats

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Harry2011

Harry2011 New Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I had thought there was enough copper in the Purina Noble Goat??? I have not used copper bolus's due to this.Would you also recommend doing this on Does? And at what age would you start? Thank you for anyone who can help.

3. goatlady58

goatlady58 Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Eastern Connecticut
    I don't use Purina Noble Goat but from what I have read, copper deficiency can cause a list of issues.Goats need copper in a consistant level to grow bones and muscle,keep their arterial walls functioning and maintain reproductive fertility.Boluses are sized for kids and adults and are determined by weights in each group.I purchased my supplies from Santa Cruz Animal Health.I have just recently administered these to my entire herd(30 animals) because I feel they all can benefit.Hope this gives them an edge to a long,healthy life.

4. xippidee

xippidee New Member

Dec 11, 2015
    We copper bolus our herd regularly, and it definitely makes a difference in the quality of their coats, hoof health, horn health, and their ability to maintain appropriate weight. Our area is high in iron, which can block copper absorption, so we bolus 2-4 times a year as needed.

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. Mandara Farm

Mandara Farm New Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I'd heard that the dosage is 1 gram for every 20-22 pounds for liquid copper, and 1cc for every 40 pounds of copper rods (bolus). No? Dosage is the same for both types of copper?

6. PumpkinQueen

PumpkinQueen New Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Texas
    My Nubians have free choice loose minerals with copper at the rate of 1500 ppm. Should I also be giving a bolus? I don't want to overdo it, but I do want to ensure that they are getting enough.

7. EnglishSanctuary

EnglishSanctuary New Member

Oct 20, 2016
    @PumpkinQueen Do your Nubians have any signs that they are not getting enough copper?

8. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Absolutely Copper Bolus is important in goats! It is difficult to get it down them without them chewing it, at least on some of the goats it was. I have read where it sometimes isn't so bad if they chew it, but don't know if that is true or not. I can say that the health and overall appearance truly improved after giving our goats copper. Plus, we lost a kid to sway back, which is a direct result of the doe/his mom/not having enough copper. After watching this sad little goat die of sway back, we have vowed to never have that happen again if we could avoid it by giving copper bolus, it is a NO BRAINER! Had we known more about copper earlier, we would have given it sooner, but a month before delivery wasn't enough for the poor little kid who developed sway back after he was about 8 weeks old. His twin survived, but he succumbed to it.

9. haloegrace

haloegrace New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Oregon
    How often is too often to bolus? I thought twice a year was average but I see some people bolus more often.

10. RocknWillows

RocknWillows New Member

May 25, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I have never used copper bolus before. What dosage would I use for Nigerian dwarfs. Where would I buy it. And can I give it while using the milk for ourselves or pregnant does or breeding bucks.Is there any time they should not be given the bolus.

11. bluenosegoatkeeper

bluenosegoatkeeper New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    would copper sulfate be enough and how much and often mixed in water?

12. lisanne

lisanne New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Polk County, Oregon
    @bluenosegoatkeeper - Copper sulfate is not well-absorbed in goats. The boluses (of copper oxide metal) are the only known way to get enough copper in a goat.

toth boer goats and odieclark like this.
  13. lisanne

lisanne New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Polk County, Oregon
    I would just like to add 2 helpful resources for those wanting more information on copper deficiency and how to use boluses: http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxTrZtieNaI Happy bolusing!

14. lisanne

lisanne New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Polk County, Oregon
    @Mandara Farm - Dosing according to the Saanendoah website (in my comment above) is 1 gram copper oxide in bolus form per 22 pounds at five to six month intervals.

15. lisanne

lisanne New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Polk County, Oregon
    The Saanendoah website is useful, but bear in mind it is 10 years old and not updated. It's not clear that the copper oxide rods are more effective given in a bolus as opposed to just putting them in a treat for the goat to eat. People who have had necroscopies of their goats livers have shown adequate copper levels with feeding the copper rods in treats, but maybe they had to dose a little more frequently that way because the rods would get broken up if the goat chews them? No research I could find shows that withholding feed before and after bolusing is necessary, either. This page has some interesting discussion: http://nigeriandwarfgoats.ning.com/forum/topics/copper-bolus-on-empty-stomach

groovyoldlady and odieclark like this.
  16. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Have any of you ever used Replamin? It's a MAAC. Our ND breeder says she uses this. I like the idea of a gel because the bolus can be hard to administer and unpleasant for the owner and the goat. Ours are obviously pets! :D

odieclark likes this.
  17. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    On the forum many recommend doing Replamin plus in between Copper Bolus. We have tried to install the routine of Replamin Sunday's, giving Replamin plus on Sunday. Easiest to give them a small replamin sandwich, with the Replamin paste in between a small bun...The goats love a piece of bun or bread! Try sticking a tube in their mouths, not quite so enticing! Still do Copper, and our goats are still copper deficient! Plus, any of the vets in our area, while good overall still are in disagreement with the amount of copper we give or need to give to keep them well.

18. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  19. Crazy Little Goat

Crazy Little Goat Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Southeast Ohio
    1 gram = 1cc
    https://www.convertunits.com/from/cc/to/grams

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We have already discussed this issue, but I will try to answer some concerns.

Goats always have feed in their system that is called cud, so giving it on an empty stomach, doesn't make sense.
    They don't have an empty stomach/rumen unless they have been starved. I have always had it work even giving it mid day after they have eaten.

Always under dose, not overdose.
    I give 1 bolus and watch, then, 4 months later, if they are still showing signs, I will give another.

Too much copper is toxic. Remember you have free choice minerals and other ways they are getting it as well.

Do not give any copper boluses, if they do not have deficient signs. You may do more harm than good.

The copper bolus is 1 gram per 22 pounds.

Chewing the bolus can happen, it just doesn't get all of it down to where it needs to be, but better than nothing if deficient. It is best to bolus whole if you can.

Nigerian dwarfs,
    I would give
    2 gm bolus and watch.
    I get mine from amazon.
    They sell 2 gm and 4 gm
    Better to under dose than to over dose.
    You can always give more, but can never undue if giving to much.

It has no effect that I know of for milk.

Copper Oxide is slow release.
    Do not use other types to goats.

odieclark likes this.