copper bolusing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Feb 8, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so I have 00 capsules and a container of 12.5 g copasure copper boluses. How much do I put in each 00 capsule to give to the goats. I will be doing, bucks, does and I am not going to do the babies yet. How much!!!!!

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I do a very small pinch sprinkled over their grain, but i use the big capsules that you can take apart and the powder stuff is inside.
    beth

3. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Really, wow. Ok well I think I am going to just put a pinch in each capsule and give it that way. They say for about a 50 pound goat you should get 5 different 00 capsules per 1 copasure capsule. I will give it a try, as my poor goats are soo deficient that I would need to give thm a whole copasure to get them to overdose!

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yea i do it about every four to five months, just sprinkle it over their grain. If you check the end of their tails you can tell if they are deficiant or not. The end of their tails will be bald. If you have black goats a reddish tinge to the coat is also a good sign. A wavey rough coat along their backs is another sign. I try not to over do it because copper is so easy to over dose on.
    beth

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    beth in order to have the most out of the bolus, it is very important that the goats don't chew the capsule. they need to swallow it whole, the gelatin gets resolve in the rumen and the little rods are lodged in the folds of the stomach.
    go to this site and scroll down . there you will find correct dosage for your animals.
    http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is what I was going to say.

If you just put it on the grain then you really are not helping the goats what so ever.

7. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Where do you guys get the wire boluses? I've been wanting to use them, but haven't found them.

8. cougcowgirl

cougcowgirl Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Yakima, WA
    to me it sounds like beth is talking about the capsules not the boluses. which that makes perfect sense....i dont do copper like that but i know when my dog was supposed to take ammoxicillian, they gave us capsules and it was way easier to put it in some wet dog food as powder then getting him to take them rolled in meat, cheese or bread whole!

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If your goats are really deficient, one thing I've found works great is copper drenches. Using a 1% solution, you only give them enough copper to get them back on the road to being sufficient, and it is really hard to OD them on the drenches. I can't find the link for the website but you mix 1 tablespoon of copper sulfate in 3L of water, then you give 20ccs(or 10 for minis) 2x a day of the drench for 1 week, rest one week, do one more week, rest 2 weeks, then do one more week at half the dose.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

its not a gel though, its a little grainy like powder.
    beth

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

this is what i use.
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5
    they come is a plastic like capsule thing, i beak it open and put it in a ziploc bag and just put a small pinch over everyons grain every three to four months. Its kind of expensive i split it with a friend of mine because neither one of us has enough goats to need a fulltub.
    beth

12. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Those are the copper rods that only work properly when they make it to the rumen intact and lodge in the folds of the rumen to slowly desolve releasing copper in their system. I am not sure why yours are like powder. Mine look kinda like mechanical pencil leads broken up.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

weird, these look like gigantic pills, i know people who have given their goats an entire pill, but i break them open and ive them onlya little. This is the easiest way i have found and so far everyone looks good as far as copper goes, not wavey coats along the back no reddish tings on black hair tails are fully covered with hair.
    beth

14. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yes they are gigantic pill but inside they look like pencil leads. Glad that works for you.

15. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Where do you get yours Teresa?

16. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Julie I got mine at Jeffers but if you want some I can send you some. I will never use them up with my mini's. Just pm me with your address and I will mail some out to you.

Each bolus would be 1.30 cause jeffers is only like $32.00 for a bottle of 25