The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about how to give my goats their copper. I have read about two different ways, one using a bolusing gun and one just letting them take it out of your hand, maybe with some peanut butter or something.

How do most people do it? Does it matter which way? I had read that it's best to do it on an empty stomach. Anyway, just wanting to pick everybody's brain on this one.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I use the boluses and a balling gun. I know they get every rod and don't end up chewing on any which you don't really want from what all I have read. Its not as friendly bit it works for me :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I read this somewhere in this forum and it worked great for me. Put a little grain in a feeding bowl pour on a little molasses, honey, or syrup pour copper rods on this then a little more grain. My girls lick the bowl clean and I don't have to fight with them to get it down.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I mix mine with a little mashed banana and put it over the back of their tongue with horse wormer tube.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I read to stick the capsule in a marshmallow. Works great on my "I'll eat anything" doe, but the other two look at me like "nice try lady". I found bread is the easiest. Do the same with my dog. Tear a few small pieces and put the pill in one and mash it into a ball. Give a plain piece, followed by the one with the pill, then a third piece quickly (which prevents them from chewing it). Works like a charm!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I didnt put it into smaller capsules, I opened the 12.5 gram boluses, measured it out in a syringe, the 1cc per 50lb method. And I poured the 3cc's per adult goat in the larger part of an empty 12.5 gram bolus, capped the copper off with probio paste, and capped the probios off with bread. Opened their mouth and shoved it in. For the kids I used the smaller end of the capsule.
The babies took it like it was nothing, no fighting, just swallowed it and went on their merry way! The does acted like I was tring to kill them, expect my good old boer doe Ginger, she swallowed it without batting an eye.

:laugh: But it was quite hard bolusing the cows! I dont have a balling gun that is large enough for the 12.5 gram ones or the 25 gram ones, so I had to shove it in their mouth by hand.....bit more than elbow deep in a cows mouth later, I got the bolus far enough back that they couldnt chew it and had to swallow it! :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
To clarify my earlier post... If your goats have anything that they go crazy over (food wise), I'd try sticking the bolus in that. For me it's bread. But DONT put the bolus in the first piece. Most animals will sniff the first piece and chew it slower, to make sure they like it. But once they get a taste, they'll gobble up as much as you give them. That's why the bolus goes in the second piece... and then offer a third right away. That way, like the piggies they are... they quickly gulp down that second (med-spiked) piece so they dont miss out on the third piece. It's a pretty genius plan, if I do say so myself! :idea:

·
Registered
82 Posts
just FYI the marshmallow method works on non-cooperative goats as well. I bloused 4 new does who were not willing to eat the marshmellow. I just stuck it in the back of their mouth, held their nose up in the air and waited. Eventually nature took it's course and it all went down. Of course, these are Nigerians, so if your goats are much bigger you may need a way where they cooperate a little more :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I just did 6 more goats, I used a 60cc syringe with the catheter tip. I measured out the copper I needed in a 6cc syringe, set that down, with the 60cc one, I sucked up about 10cc of yogurt and took the plunger out, poured the copper in the 60cc one with the yogurt, put the plunger back on the 60cc syringe, and opened their mouth and squirt it as far back as I could. Worked very well, no chewing at all, got it all down their throat fast.
Works great with an empty horse wormer tube as well, just fill it part way with yogurt or something like that, pour the copper in, then top it off the rest of the way with yougurt (or what you have). Works like a charm :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts