Copper deficiency? Dose again?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SLahne, May 22, 2020.

1. SLahne

SLahne New Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Indiana
    I have had 2 pet goats for almost 7 years now. About 3 years ago, we moved to a new home and over time I have noticed that their coats have gotten much drier and wiry and I have also noticed some color changes -one goat is a white bodied boer with a light brown head and the other is a Pygmy cross with a a white belt around his midsection and black and brown coloring on the head, cape, and rump. Prior to moving, the white areas on them we’re very white, i didn’t notice much, if any, colored hairs mixed in at all.
    Now that we have moved, the white areas on them have began to grow colored hair, especially on the boer. I will attach photos. They also seem to be carrying their weight a little differently (which could be age?) and seem to be a little thinner on their top line.
    I’ve heard goats coat colors can change over time naturally but I’m not sure that this is “normal”.
    I thought that they could have a copper deficiency (I think the soil/water at our new location is high in iron) so I dosed them back in December with the appropriate amounts of copper bolus. It seems like it may have helped a little bit but now that they are shedding out their winter coats, their hair still seems very dry and wiry and still has colored hair mixed in the white areas. It also seems to be falling out pretty easily but that may just be the winter coat. I don’t think their tails are “fishtailed”.
    Is it too early to dose them again with copper bolus? Or could the issue be something else? Selenium deficiency? Any ideas what could be going on?

This was from when we first moved in 2017
    IMG_1794.jpg

These are from today
    IMG_9005.jpg
    IMG_9004.jpg
    IMG_9006.jpg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Fine to dose them now.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb, every three months is the minimum of time between bolusing you can go. But if they are showing definitive signs you can go less than that.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Handsome boys.
    Be sure to dose 1 gram per 22 pounds for best results.
    Check them for lice as well...i see nibble spots but that maybe itching from loosing winter coat..but check just to be sure.

Do they have a good loose mineral?

5. SLahne

SLahne New Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Indiana
    They have a mineral that is made specifically for goats (not sheep & goats, I know it contains copper). I think it might be country road goat mineral from rural king, i switched to it a few months back after using manna pro goat mineral. I really like the manna pro, especially because it has ammonium chloride, but it was so expensive for such a small bag. Does anyone know of a similar but more affordable mineral?
    I top their beet pulp shreds with it. They were getting it free choice but they knocked the feeder down and broke it a while back so I need to get a new set up that is a little more secure. That’s probably a big part of the issue.

Will lice/mites be visible? Or can you only see them under microscope?

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    You can see lice easily. If you want, you can shave the goats with an electric clipper, and you will see the lice scrambling around. Then you can dose.

Shaving them would also help healthier hair grow back since you have bolused them

A good mineral is not going to be cheap, unfortunately... As the saying goes, you get what you pay for! Manna pro are definitely overpriced, for a not so quality product. If you have a TSC, get the Purina wind and rain red bag. That is a great mineral! It also comes in 50lbs, so it will last 2 goats a very long time!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Dosage is 1 gram per 22 lbs.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    signs they may have lice is nibble spots..like they scratching with their teeth, coat maybe more cotton feeling, matted..you can see lice, just brush hair against the flow and look toward the skin. yes, Shaving can help.

A few good mineral choices: Sweet lix meat maker or cargil right now onyx

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. SLahne

SLahne New Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Indiana
    Awesome, thank you for all of this great information!! I am going to search them tomorrow for lice and see what I come up with. Also going to give them a good brushing and try to get what’s left of their winter coat out, which i think will help. I just dosed them yesterday with another round of the copper bolus. I will also get one of the suggested mineral choices.
    I mostly like the manna pro for the ammonium chloride, does anyone know if the suggested minerals include ammonium chloride? If not, would I be able to add ammonium chloride powder? (I have some from treating for stones in the past) I’m not certain that they would eat the ammonium chloride powder free choice, I don’t think they particularly enjoy the taste . I think the manna pro has anise to make it more palatable.

We will be moving again in a few months and our new location will have filtered hose water and better forage for them so I hope that also helps.

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    some mix the AC into apple sauce to dose with success ;)

12. SLahne

SLahne New Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Indiana
    Oh my goodness, I never even thought to mix with apple sauce but what a great idea!!! Mine go nuts over apples! I will definitely try that

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I use applesauce to dose everything.

14. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Active Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    I may have overlooked it but have you run a fecal on them? Checked their Famancha score? It could be a lack of copper.Could also be parasites, especially with them getting older.
    I use Vigortone loose minerals for my goats. Seems to do pretty good for them. If I stop having it available I see a change in their coats etc pretty quick.

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can you provide info on Vigortone minerals? A label? Thanks!

16. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Active Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Sure. I will pull the label tomorrow and get a pic for you

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Thanks so much!!

18. R.Williamson