Copper deficiency question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Skooby, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Skooby

Skooby New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    IN
    I'm fairly new to the goat world but from this site I'm fairly sure our pygmy is copper deficient. It looks like she has the fish tail & she is loosing her beard-the only signs/symptoms I see going on. She kidded in July & he is still nursing occasionally. They do have a goat mineral block. It was posted to copper bolus with copasure, where can I buy it? Is this the only route to go? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes she does look copper deficient.

first thing I would do is replace the mineral block with a loose mineral. The goats rarely get enough minerals from the block because it woudl take hours and hours of licking it to accomplish the required mineral amounts they need.

Some loose minerals I recomend are: Top Choice by Southern States, Purina Goat minerals by Purina, Sweet Lix meat maker my Sweet Lix, Golden Blend (Cant remember who makes it).

Try your local feed store -- if they dont carry a goat specific mineral ask them if its possible to have it special orderd (thats what I do). Also in a pinch minerals for horses or cows will do.

As for the copasure: www.jefferslivestock.com carries it but you will end up with WAY MORE then you can ever use unless you have like a herd of 40+ goats. If you would like to purchase some capsules I have plenty extra I can sell to you real cheep. :D they are in big capsules so you will need to find alternate ways to administer it to your smaller goat (copasure comes ready for cattle). There are several ways you can accomplish getting the copper rods into your doe without to much fuss.

3. Skooby

Skooby New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    IN
    I did just get some loose minerals, need to get them out to them. Sure I would like to purchase a couple. Let me know how much, where to send, & what form of payment you'd prefer and I'll send it right out. Thank you for the info & your help.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ