Copper deficiency?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jBlaze, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Not sure where to put this, seems to be more of a goat sense, not vet. but that is locked, maybe a moderator could put some copper info there?

After doing research, it appears my goats are copper deficient, and not getting enough from the loose minerals. I know other breeders in our area use copper boluses, but I don't know them very well. Our vet does not stock copper for goats. We have mostly lamanchas, which have a higher need for copper.
    So my question is; what do you do to ensure your goats have enough copper?
    Thanks.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't really like the copper boluses because I don't know how much they are getting(to much or to little) If I have a goat that is deficient, and is not getting enough from her minerals, I start them on copper drenches: http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/coppersulfate.html It gives them just enough copper to get them back on the road to being suffient in it. If your girls are pregnant though, I generally do not give it to them when they are pregnant.

What kind of minerals are you feeding?

3. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I use the purina minerals. The lamanchas show the most signs.
    I don't understand what you mean about not knowing with the boluses. If you know how much in in the bolus and how much your goat weighs, then you know, right? (I feel like I missed something, lol.)
    Thanks.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What I mean is the rate at which the bolus is releasing the copper, to fast or to slow, to much at a time or to little. The copper drenches seem to be the best way because with a 1% solution it is very hard to OD a goat on copper, and it gives them just enough to get them back on the road to being sufficient.

Do you see the goats eating the minerals? the only reason I ask is because Purina is very high in salt, and if they are ok on their salt, they will stop eating the minerals. If you can get a hold of some Sweetlix, those are really good minerals.

Also, what color are your LaManchas?

5. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I used the drenches (advised by Sarah) with Shanti, my all black goat. His coat was rough, reddish in places, and he had bare patches around his eyes. I think partly it was because he has a rough time shedding, always gets itchy since he just grows so much winter hair and rubs a lot to get it off, but also he was copper deficient. I followed the instructions and saw results in about 3 weeks, or that's when his coat got really black, anyway. After that I squirted a bit of the copper drench in their water bucket every now and then, since New England is supposedly borderline copper deficient anyway, and their mineral is specified for the South... so some extra copper does them well.

I have heard the boluses work really well, too. The breeder I got my goats from used them and was very happy with the results. Just be really careful they don't chew them, so they release slowly and not all at once.

As long as you're careful about dosage, copper supplementation is easy enough, and I think either way would get good results.

6. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I see them use the purina, but not enough. I have only seen the sweetlicks blocks, never know they had loose minerals till today when I happened on a page of their web-site. I did get a block the other day, but have not put it in their pen yet.
    My 6 yr lm doe and her 2 yr daughter are brown and white, I have 2 black 2.5 yr old does a black buck and a tan buck, and some white ones. The white animals show less signs, anyone with color has a goofy looking tail and rough coat, with faded areas.
    Tell me again where to get the drench, what called? Even if I do end up using bolus, I would like to have the drench too, for whoever doesn't need the bolus.
    Thanks.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The copper drench is a solution of 1 tablespoon of copper sulfate to a little less than a gallon of water. We get copper sulfate from our feed mill, but you might be able to order it on line from Spring Creek Goat Supplies.

If you do the bolus, don't give the drench to the ones you have given the bolus. Black/colored goats also seem to show more signs of deficiency than lighter colored goats.