The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello-

We are fairly new goat owners. We noticed one of our goats had reddish color hair, fish type tail, and greasy coat... we gave him a copper bolous a week ago and have kept out their minerals as well. We are curious about when we will start to see improvement in his coat and tail? Does it take a long time?

He is eating and playing like normal.

Any information helps!

Thank you!

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
How often can you give a copper bolus? My goats seem to run low on copper all the time.
It depends on the hay, feed, and pastures plus your water source and the individual goats!

We have very high iron in the well water and this apparently blocks copper absorption so our goats perpetually need copper supplementation. Also maybe Boers need more than other breeds? We offer loose minerals and then we copper bolus approximately 3 times per year and give MultiMin90 injections usually twice a year. I fell behind last year and now it takes even more than that to get rid of the deficiency!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
We bolus (theoretically) every 4-6 weeks due to our well water issues. And my darker goat literally gets twice as much as anyone else. The deficiency is a real issue for us! And good copper levels help keep parasites at bay. (Curse you, Barberpole worms!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
It depends on the hay, feed, and pastures plus your water source and the individual goats!

We have very high iron in the well water and this apparently blocks copper absorption so our goats perpetually need copper supplementation. Also maybe Boers need more than other breeds? We offer loose minerals and then we copper bolus approximately 3 times per year and give MultiMin90 injections usually twice a year. I fell behind last year and now it takes even more than that to get rid of the deficiency!
Yeah that's what I thought also, like every 3 or 4 month. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there- we went ahead and gave our goats the copper bolous doseage on the label. This was about 4 weeks ago. Our goats coats still look dark and one of our tan goats I turning whiteish. The greasy feel has gone away but we still have a fishtail on one also. Should we dose again? I don’t want to overdose them. They do have loose minerals out also. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
262 Posts
We took in two wethers and they have definitely been deprived. We gave the copper bolus for their weight, but they still have the fish tail 3 weeks later. How often can we give it?
We don’t have a bolus gun, so we opened the capsules and mixed it with applesauce. They happily ate it, but their coats are still sketchy.

·
8,066 Posts
Fish tail is where the hair on the goat's tail is split, like a tail on a fish. Half the hair is parted up and half is parted down. It can be one sign of copper deficiency in goats.

·
Registered
95 Posts

We have very high iron in the well water and this apparently blocks copper absorption
God gives us the best water supply that there is, rain. I have all of my barns, sheds and shelter roofs each piped to a nearby water trough. Even the little amount of dew each night contributes considerably. I hardly ever have to pull out a water hose.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow shoafplantation, That must be nice! I wish we got enough rain to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We took in two wethers and they have definitely been deprived. We gave the copper bolus for their weight, but they still have the fish tail 3 weeks later. How often can we give it?
We don't have a bolus gun, so we opened the capsules and mixed it with applesauce. They happily ate it, but their coats are still sketchy.
I'm also wondering how often. Thanks

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Wait 2-3 months between copper bolus dosages. For very deficient goats, it will take several doses to see their coats completely turn around and become smooth and shiny. It can't change the existing fur, it effects the new growth, so it takes some time to see the impact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait 2-3 months between copper bolus dosages. For very deficient goats, it will take several doses to see their coats completely turn around and become smooth and shiny. It can't change the existing fur, it effects the new growth, so it takes some time to see the impact.
Okay! Thank you so much! They all still eat and play like normal :) I just want them to be as healthy as can be :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fish tail is where the hair on the goat's tail is split, like a tail on a fish. Half the hair is parted up and half is parted down. It can be one sign of copper deficiency in goats.
Can I give them bolus? My one goat has lost weight but act fine. I can't get samples from either one and had tested samples with vet in January and they were ok. Their hair is not dark but tail looks like fish tail. Please tell what you suggest. Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts