The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

One of my weathers is copper deficit, actually I think they both are. I have 2 wethers one is 40lbs, 50lbs and 45lbs. The 45 and 40lb are a year old. And the 50 lbs stud is 3 years old.

I keep them in the same pen, however, I'm worried about the copper deficiency.
Any suggestions on how to help them?

I was giving them Redmond goat mineral in a separate bowl. Do you suggest I keep doing that?

Also I was researching shots. They all (damns and weathers and stud) need their shots this June. Are there any vitamins or shots I can give them myself??

· Registered
585 Posts
What are the signs that you're seeing that are making you think they are copper deficient?

I'm not familiar with Redmond goat mineral, sometimes it's helpful to list the minerals and their percentages if you're concerned about the quality of your mineral.

Some things to consider with mineral deficiencies are your water type. Some well waters that are high in copper antagonists can actually bind the copper your goats get from their minerals. So waters high in sulfur, iron or calcium would affect your goats copper absorption.

Also the hay you feed, if you feed alfalfa that can also cause copper deficiency.

Most goat owners on here do NOT recommend injectable copper because it can lead to toxicity. What we give is an oral copper bolus. This has copper rods that are slowly released into the goats system after they imbed in the goats stomach.

Another mineral supplement we tend to like is Replamin gel. This is given in addition to a quality loose mineral.

· Registered
24 Posts
Do they have bald tail tips? If they don't then it might not be copper, a lot of other things can cause the scruffy, faded look like parasites. If you give loose minerals take out any other salt and mineral licks since most goats do seem to like licking them more then the loose stuff. If it is just the wethers and none of the others in your herd it could be that the others are driving them away from the minerals too, I often had issues with that. In that case maybe add a few more lick locations far enough apart that a pushy goat can't guard them all.
As for shots, you can usually get the CDT vaccine (endotoxemia and tetanus) at farm stores and do it yourself, I usually did. Some stores have goat vaccines for pneumonia but I never could find it where I lived. You can get them vaccinated for rabies and sore mouth too but that usually isn't necessary unless it is a problem in your area. The main thing is making sure that you do them at the right times. The CDT is supposed to be given to pregnant does at a specific time so the kids benefit and then the kids get it again at a certain age, the rest get it only once a year. If you are unsure how to gives the different kinds of shot application then ask your vet. If they are unwilling to teach you that then it would be wise to look for a different one as applying shots to goats could save their like in the case of polio where a shot of vitamin B-complex is the primary and immediate treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.