The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
i have to give copper every three months due to my water(4 months in winter since i catch some rain water). I should send you a photo, i have one that is preety rusty. I totally forgot i didnt do her last time since i couldnt catch her.
Yea someone on here told me I should bolus every 6 months, (and no less than 6 months apart). Well, I waited 6 months, and their coats are all getting bad again. Argh. Then I tried to figure out why they had gotten like that again in less than 6 months and realized they can be given closer together if needed. Now I gotta figure out if 4 months apart will work or if I needed to go to 3 or if 5 will work 馃槚

Registered
I鈥檓

So how do how do you give in the treats? do you open the capsules and let them just gobble them up with treats. I watched a homesteader video that shows that is how this one goat farmer did it. What do you suggest? And generally how long does it take to see a difference?
What I do for mine is open the capsule and pour it on a glob of peanut butter on a plate. Mix it in and offer to them. They LOVE it.
Another way I used to do is I'd cut a hole out of the center of a strawberry, pour the contents of the capsule in, and then fill the rest of the hole with peanut butter. I stopped doing that tho when one goat refused to eat the strawberry. Even now, you offer her a strawberry, she will NOT eat it. 馃槀

Registered
so sounds like it is a bit of trial and error until you find what works.
Yea it is. You just gotta figure out your area and goats. 馃槀 So make sure you write down the date that you bolus your goats. Then after their coats are all back to normal write that date down, and then keep a close eye on them for when their coats start looking deficient, write that date down, see how long it's been, and probably bolus them again.

Registered
Thats a great idea! i havent found anything that works yet other then syringe the copper rodsd with replamin and molasses. One goat liked bred though but i have 20 plus.
I really didn't want to shove the capsule down their throat so went digging on old goat websites and blogs to find different ways 馃槀 yea when I first gave copper boluses I only had 3 goats so it was easy. Now I have 7, with babies, but it's not bad since I've figured out a way they all love.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts