The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2) 5 year old Wethered Nigerian Dwarfs and 1) 4 year old. I live in Northern NV and we are on well water.
They are fed grass hay and Sweetlix Meat maker supplement, free fed.
this is the first year that all three coats are not looking great. One, the hair is really course and almost looks singed and the hairs on his back legs are turning white instead of his usual caramel color, the black & white one, his back legs are turning a light rusty color and and my white and black ones hair is course and he has dandruff… this is the first year I have ever experienced any coat issues… I have been reading and it sounds like a copper deficiency maybe due to my well water? I had it tested when I first bought the property and it is high in iron and calcium, essentially hard water…can this affect the absorption of Cooper? If so how do I treat? Just need some guidance…
Hair Natural material Grass Tints and shades Close-up

Terrestrial animal Snout Boar Livestock Fur

Goat Working animal Dog breed Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal

Hair Tire Eyebrow Eye Water

Carnivore Terrestrial animal Snout Dog breed Grizzly bear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m
Welcome to TGS!

A lot of people have to supplement additional copper (usually in bolus form every three to six months or so, depending on the situation) even with a good loose mineral available and good quality feed. That might be all you need to get them looking good again. You can give them in treats if you like, too, so super low stress for everybody!
So how do how do you give in the treats? do you open the capsules and let them just gobble them up with treats. I watched a homesteader video that shows that is how this one goat farmer did it. What do you suggest? And generally how long does it take to see a difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea someone on here told me I should bolus every 6 months, (and no less than 6 months apart). Well, I waited 6 months, and their coats are all getting bad again. Argh. Then I tried to figure out why they had gotten like that again in less than 6 months and realized they can be given closer together if needed. Now I gotta figure out if 4 months apart will work or if I needed to go to 3 or if 5 will work 😖
so sounds like it is a bit of trial and error until you find what works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this has been asked, but do you have minerals for your goats?
yes. I free fed them SweetLix Meat maker.
I have 3 four yr old ND Wethers with a similar coat issue. I give copper bolus. I cut a fig Newton in half and put 1 capsules contents in each cookie. My boys are big and get 2 capsules, 2 cookies. Timing can vary. Like others have posted, you just have to monitor.
Thank you very much! I will give it a try with the fig newtons...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well water, which has iron in it causes copper deficiency.
Loose minerals, which has too much iron in it, can be another cause. Check the label.

Filter well water or have a water treatment system installed can help to take out a lot of iron.
"Thank you for the information.
A lot of goats seem to love fig newtons - I’ve never tried feeding them to mine, but I keep hearing about them!

I always have some quick oats on hand for oatmeal, and I almost always have either some peanut butter or a banana. So what I do for mine is mix either peanut butter or mashed banana with some quick oats to make a dough-like substance. If I’m using peanut butter, I’ll add a little honey or molasses too. And I just pour the contents of the bolus capsule into the dough and mix it in and make a ball. If it’s a bit sticky I add more oats or roll it in flour. If it’s dry, more banana or peanut butter. I use these treats for herbal dewormer administration too. It’s so nice not to have to force feed anybody!
Perfect...one of these ways is bound to work...if I just shout the word "no" along with whatever method I'm using they are sure to gobble it up as they are bratty and really know the word "no" which of course makes the do the exact opposite....:ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Thank you for the information.

Perfect...one of these ways is bound to work...if I just shout the word "no" along with whatever method I'm using they are sure to gobble it up as they are bratty and really know the word "no" which of course makes the do the exact opposite....:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Well Fig Newtons were a hit! I sliced them long wise… sprinkled the copper inside… mushed it back together and each goat gobbled it right up!
thank you for all the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts