copper deficient fishtale; photo

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by freedomstarfarm, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I think this girl has a fishtail going on and have already ordered my Copasure.

Is this a sure indicator of copper deficiency?

If it is how quickly do you find a deficiency can develop?

2. I always do that! Here is the photo.

Attached Files:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes its a sure sign of deficiency. Not sure how deficient they need to be or the timing of it. But usually within weeks of copasure they show signs of improvement :)

4. Good! (that it will help so quick)

It should arrive tomorrow. I just need to go get empty caps. Where can I get those any place other than a health food store?

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont know, never bought any before

6. Have you bloused before and if so what did you use if not the caps?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I drench with it

I use like applesauce or left over preserves and I mix it in and drench

8. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I think I am going to use applesauce also. I don't think I can get the bolus down some of my tough girls like Clementine.

9. Subgoat Girls

Subgoat Girls New Member

May 8, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I just drenched my first time last weekend. I used applesauce and it worked great.

10. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    You really should use the empty caps, that way they go into the proper place to be released slowly. The results will last longer as well, by giving them with applesauce you may see quicker results but they are not going to last as long and IMHO would be hard to tell just how much got down each goat.

Karla

11. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Last night I dosed my new doe.. and tried to drench in yogurt.. but the copper seemed to sink and stay in the syringe...(darn) so then I took that and mixed it in Peanut butter, covered it in BOSS and stuck it in her mouth... It stayed! She looked like "why are you 'force=feeding' me treats????" Funny Girl...

12. Thanks for the suggestions!

Package with the Copasure just arrived. :)

13. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Since we've been drying up our does...I have one that is getting a fishtail :( I give them loose minerals every day - I had to buy it from TSC and it's a small bag, but says they don't need too much, I think on the back it says it's manna pro? Anyway...I give that every day, make sure everyone gets it, but still it's not enough...Think I might have to give copper, but it's something that scares me to give!

14. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Also, I believe (Maybe Stacey or Ashley can correct me if I'm wrong) that a fish tail has to be either shaved or trimmed after given copper. The copper won't fix the fishtail look of the tail unless the hair is cut and had a chance to grow out. My point being, it may not be the only sign of lack of copper.

15. I used to use the MannaPro and gave it free choice despite what the bag said. My girls loved it and I never noticed any deficiencies.
    I switched to Purina and have been using it for a few months. Not sure if it is the new mineral or what. :shrug:

16. Yes I believe it is only one of the many signs of copper deficiency.
    I would think that the hair is always growing and that the fishtail would just grow out as copper levels improve but if others think I need to shave it I will. Please advise.

17. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No...the hair should come back in on its own. ;)

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some does don't eat the recommended amount of minerals free choice... and will show the fishtail.... it drives me bats because they have access to it at all times.... :doh: :help: :greengrin:

19. Well I gave all of them copper capsules today. I made up caps with just under a gram in them. I gave the ones showing fishtails 2 and all the others one. I know that I way underdosed but I figured it was better than nothing and I was still a bit nervous.