The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have been ghosting on here for a while and have learned so much from all of your great advice. But I have a question about my goats. They are on a loose mineral for goats but my young doe Sugar who is normally a whitish color is now turning brown. I don't know if it is that she is just now coming into her true colors or she is copper deficient... here's some pics of her when I first got her about 7 months ago, and now. The last picture is of her tail, I cant tell if its the beginning of fishtail or not.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
She might be coming into her color. The tail is potentially starting a fish tail. If you have never copper bolused, I would go ahead and do it.

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
I do mine 3 times a year. Start with twice a year and see if that works for you. The dose is 1 gram per 22lbs.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
You can get a cattle size bolus from your vet probably. You just have to open it and weigh out the right amount for your goats. :)And of course find a way to get it down their throats without them chewing it. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do you know if you are giving them too much copper? I feed Purina Noble Goat, free choice Purina Goat Mineral and am going to get copper bolus cause still not having good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thats my question too... Im ordering some tonight from Valley Vet. I feed Noble also to my older doe and buck, and Impulse w/ supplements to the show babies, and free choice Sweetlix minerals. I want to make sure I dont over do it.....if thats possible. Advice would be awesome.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I feed Purina goat chow, and use the 16:8 sweetlix livestock minerals because I have sheep as well. I'm planning to copper bolus my goats every 4 months... From my understanding its a time release thing when giving it whole.... So you can't overdose.. That is what I heard from a vet..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts