The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I raise Nigerian dwarf goats but I am new to it. I also have sheep. So I feed them a all stock feed. I noticed my does fur and skin look dry and color faded. and she’s been looking tired. They got vaccinated 2 weeks ago and dewormed. I’m thinking copper deficient. They have a mineral and salt block and also loose minerals and baking soda. I just gave them today a copper bolus. However she ate and then I gave it to her. So my question is should I give it to her again? Incase it didn’t get absorbed? I don’t want to give her too much copper either. And do u have any suggestions for food? Thanks so much

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Faded would be a sign of copper but dry skin might be a zinc deficiency. What do you give for minerals?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t figure out how to post pictures. She is 2.5 years old. Weighs roughly about 80 lbs ish. Give or take. She’s small but stalky. I gave her 2 of the 2gram bolis. It said 1 pill per every 25lbs.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
You did mention one goat seeming "tired" though so that won't have anything to do with copper. Keep an eye on FAMACHA score of inner eye lid to make sure she isn't anemic from worms. I know you said they are dewormed but not all dewormers treat all types of worms and also some are not that effective and often underdosed. Lethargy is definitely a sign of anemia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I’ll keep an eye out. I used safeguard liquid dewormer. I’ll keep watch. She is also 6 weeks pregnant. Maybe that’s y she’s tired.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Safeguard Liquid is dosed at 1mL per 5lbs (much higher than label), in order to be effective. But it also really needs to be combined with another dewormer in order to be effective.

What prompted the deworming? A fecal analysis or poor FAMACHA score or weight loss? Loose stools?

If they show symptoms of worms and are lethargic, I would repeat the Safeguard at the above dosage and also give Ivermectin injectable dosed orally at 1mL per 30lbs the same day. Repeat both ten days later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I always deworm them every 3 months regardless of signs. I have little kids always outside playing with them and my veterinarian suggested that I do that as a preventative. They have never tested positive for worms

1 - 20 of 20 Posts