Copper deficient

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jojokeke1112, May 9, 2020.

1. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    Hi I raise Nigerian dwarf goats but I am new to it. I also have sheep. So I feed them a all stock feed. I noticed my does fur and skin look dry and color faded. and she’s been looking tired. They got vaccinated 2 weeks ago and dewormed. I’m thinking copper deficient. They have a mineral and salt block and also loose minerals and baking soda. I just gave them today a copper bolus. However she ate and then I gave it to her. So my question is should I give it to her again? Incase it didn’t get absorbed? I don’t want to give her too much copper either. And do u have any suggestions for food? Thanks so much

2. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Faded would be a sign of copper but dry skin might be a zinc deficiency. What do you give for minerals?

4. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine

5. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    I give them manna pro goat mineral and vitamins it’s in an orange bag. I buy it at agway.

6. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    It’s free choice minerals.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How much does she weigh and which size copper bolus did you give?
    No worries about the food beforehand.

Are you able to post any photos of her?

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    I can’t figure out how to post pictures. She is 2.5 years old. Weighs roughly about 80 lbs ish. Give or take. She’s small but stalky. I gave her 2 of the 2gram bolis. It said 1 pill per every 25lbs.

9. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Okay 4 grams is a good dose. Great work. If you are a brand new member, it takes 3 replies here to allow you to post photos. Click the brown "upload a file" button in the box where you write your reply.

10. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    Oh ok I c now. I’ll take a pic when I get home. Thank you for the help. My black and white buck is turning brown.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    I tried to upload pics but it won’t let me.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How are you trying to upload them?

14. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    I click the upload a file button. And it uploads all the pics. Then when I hit post reply. It says error

15. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    Here’s the pics

Attached Files:

SalteyLove likes this.
  16. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Copper bolus was a good choice, they do have some faded coloring and beginning of fish tail. Reassess in 3 months and plan to give another 4 grams to each then

17. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You did mention one goat seeming "tired" though so that won't have anything to do with copper. Keep an eye on FAMACHA score of inner eye lid to make sure she isn't anemic from worms. I know you said they are dewormed but not all dewormers treat all types of worms and also some are not that effective and often underdosed. Lethargy is definitely a sign of anemia.

21goaties likes this.
  18. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    Ok I’ll keep an eye out. I used safeguard liquid dewormer. I’ll keep watch. She is also 6 weeks pregnant. Maybe that’s y she’s tired.

19. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Safeguard Liquid is dosed at 1mL per 5lbs (much higher than label), in order to be effective. But it also really needs to be combined with another dewormer in order to be effective.

What prompted the deworming? A fecal analysis or poor FAMACHA score or weight loss? Loose stools?

If they show symptoms of worms and are lethargic, I would repeat the Safeguard at the above dosage and also give Ivermectin injectable dosed orally at 1mL per 30lbs the same day. Repeat both ten days later.

20. Jojokeke1112

Jojokeke1112 New Member

May 3, 2020
    Maine
    I always deworm them every 3 months regardless of signs. I have little kids always outside playing with them and my veterinarian suggested that I do that as a preventative. They have never tested positive for worms