The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into getting copper to dose my goats because I know they need it. But I'm confused on how to dose them. I've read that you can kill them from giving too much so that's why I have been putting it off. I have goats of all ages and weights. So I'm wondering if it would be better to buy the kind that you have to fill the capsule yourself to dose correctly by weight ....??? What is the correct dosage? I've read different things some say 1 g per 20 lbs and another says 1g per 33 lbs. very confused. My grown goats weigh between 45-80 lbs would it be safe to by the pre filled capsules and give all a 4 g capsule each or would that be too much for a 45lb goat??

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I give mine 1 gram per 22 lbs. That is per the dosage found on the Saanendoah website. For your smaller ones you would be better to buy the 2 gram bolus. From what I have read it is very hard to OD with the copper rods as they are a slow release. I did accidentally give a 100 lb doe a bolus for a 200 lb buck and she was perfectly fine. I have also heard of people giving their goats the full calf bolus with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you have been a big help:) that's the main thing I was worried about I didn't know if I could possibly kill them without giving the exact weight/ dosage

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do ya think I could give all the ones under 50 lbs a 2 g capsule and the ones over 50 lbs a 4 g capsule? Would that be safe?

·
Super Moderator
59,307 Posts
The nice thing about the bolus is that those COWP don't absorb as well as copper sulfate. So you should be fine with doing what you want to do.

·
Super Moderator
59,307 Posts
Those copper boluses have copper wire particles in them (little copper rods) which COWP is short for. Those are fine that you pictured.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered and received the copper bolus today and will be doing them all tomorrow. How long does it take to see a difference?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts