The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this is old ground and has been answered before , yet...

I bought 2g copper bolus (copasure) and wonder if I can round off amounts rather than breaking the capsules up and weighing perfectly. For example, two of my goats need 3.5 grams- is it ok to give then 4g each? or is that .5 gram extra going to be too much? I plan to open the capsules up and mix with apple sauce. Thinking is it worth the trouble to store that unused gram?

kbt

·
Registered
143 Posts
The copper oxide is pretty safe .. I would round up.. I have so much iron in my water that I have to round up all the time..

Although if your just doing this as a preventative and have a good loose mineral.. You might want to start out with 2g and see how she does.. You can always redose in 3 months

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for he help - I rounded up and gave the copper to them this morning - to all except Mary who yesterday wolfed down the "apple sauce test", but wouldn't touch it this morning!!!! too smart for her own good so I will have to come up with another treat to mix it with. Tried banannas and peanut butter without success so may just drench.

Water here is made from iron! We have a water treatment system, yet I am sure they get trace every time. Will be adding free choice loose minerals soon.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The copper oxide is pretty safe .. I would round up.. I have so much iron in my water that I have to round up all the time..

Although if your just doing this as a preventative and have a good loose mineral.. You might want to start out with 2g and see how she does.. You can always redose in 3 months
How do you determine how frequently to redose? I hear so many conflicting time frames. Other than deficiency symptoms -- which of course we're trying to avoid. The PBS website says "6 months". The breeder I bought a doe from said 5 months. Aaaaarrrgggghhhhh!!! I want to do right for my babies...just how do I determine what's "right" with regard to copper? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Well that eases my mind! No -- seriously -- it seems that so much of what I'm learning is "it depends", so I guess if the goats stay reasonably healthy, in good body condition, don't need much worming or other interventions, I'm onto a good path. Truly - that is a confidence builder...learn to trust my judgement. And of course lots of coaching from TGS'rs! Thanks Karen!

·
Registered
143 Posts
How do you determine how frequently to redose? I hear so many conflicting time frames. Other than deficiency symptoms -- which of course we're trying to avoid. The PBS website says "6 months". The breeder I bought a doe from said 5 months. Aaaaarrrgggghhhhh!!! I want to do right for my babies...just how do I determine what's "right" with regard to copper? Thanks!
It really does depend on feed/ water/ and the goats lineage..

Your goats could not be getting enough copper from their feed, or they could be ingesting a mineral that binds itself to the copper and so their body can't use it. And some goats just don't absorb minerals like they should..

I would bolus, and wait 5-6 months.. If you notice after 3 that their hair is getting corse, they are loosing color, or any other signs of copper deficiency then you know that you can't wait the full 6 months before blousing..

6 months by the way is how long it takes for the copper to be completely depleted by the liver.. 3 months after blousing the copper levels start to drop in the liver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts