The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still new to goats, so my question is. Does this doe need copper? She's a 2 year old Nubian. She could be pregnant, if she is pregnant she is about 2 months.
Plant Vertebrate Wood Liver Working animal

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Can you post some more pics of her whole body? Does she have loose minerals available and if so, what kind?

Reactions: friesian49

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Does she actually eat it! That's an ok mineral, I have good luck with one from my local grain elevator... others use something called sweetlix with good success! She may need a copper bolus, seem to have a little bit of a fishtail started.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does she actually eat it! That's an ok mineral, I have good luck with one from my local grain elevator... others use something called sweetlix with good success! She may need a copper bolus, seem to have a little bit of a fishtail started.
She eats it ok. I've never gave copper before and the videos I have watched doesn't make it look easy at all. Is there a easier way to give it?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Fish tail takes some time to correct after copper and some never correct. I would go by more than just the tail to copper. When was she last given copper and what dose. She looks very shiny but the picture showing her top makes the coat look like it's starting to get wavy, but hard to really see. A few things to look for,
Fish tail
Coarse coat
Hair tips crooked (like singed hair)
Coat may get wavy like
Color fades, like black to red..red to orange..ect
milk production drops

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fish tail takes some time to correct after copper and some never correct. I would go by more than just the tail to copper. When was she last given copper and what dose. She looks very shiny but the picture showing her top makes the coat look like it's starting to get wavy, but hard to really see. A few things to look for,
Fish tail
Coarse coat
Hair tips crooked (like singed hair)
Coat may get wavy like
Color fades, like black to red..red to orange..ect
milk production drops
I got her in July and the lady I got her from doesn't believe in CD&T. All she does is worm and loose minerals so from what I know that's the only copper she has gotten. She got her first CD&T a few weeks ago. Anything else I need to give her? I'm new to goats and learning alot from everyone here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
To me she looks very shinny. Does her coat feel soft? That's a tough one. If it was me, I would wait a bit, and see if her coat changes or the fishtail gets worse or goes away. That coat just doesn't look like it needs copper to me. Wouldn't hurt to play a waiting game.
Her coat isn't soft but is not rough. I have noticed some dry skin and flakes in her coat

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Dry flaky skin can be a need for zinc. One thing I recommend is a better loose mineral. Something like Sweet Lix meat maker, some use Purina wind and rain.
She really does look good and I would just want to add better mineral at this time..watch close for any copper needs arising before I bolus.
Keep a close eye in her famacha score and do fecals a few times a year are good practices. I send fecals into meadowmistlabs. It's $6 a test and she emails a complete parasite profile..what and how many so you know if there is an issue you need to address.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
A link for Finding SweetLix Meat Maker 16.8 loose minerals | The Goat Spot Forum

This thread would help locate SweetLix loose minerals if you decide to try them. Just type in your zip code, balloon(s) show up on the map, click the balloon open and the farm supply address/phone number information appears. These minerals come in a 25 pound bag, and the tag on the bottom has the date they were packaged stamped on it.

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
Fishtail showing for sure.
You can give her 1copper bolus, add the sweetlix meat maker free choice. Wait for 4 months and see if her tail tip is growing new hairs or not.
If not, give her another one then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts