Copper. How to.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by firelight27, Oct 30, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I wanted to supplement my two new girls with copper, because I believe they have some deficiencies. I have never bolused or given copper sulfate because I have never noticed any issues with copper deficiency in my herd, and they have free choice minerals with proper amounts of copper.

They are Nigerian Dwarfs. If I bolus, what product should I order, and how should I dose it considering these are not full size dairy goats. I usually buy my stuff from Jeffers Livestock. Is there a copper supplement I can get from them, and how should I dose it? I do not want to have to deal with copper toxicity.

I looked at a recipe for Copper Sulfate, but it required buying some weed killer that I am not sure I can find. Can I buy a different product, or will the balance be off for the recipe. Also, I think the dosage was for a full sized dairy goat and not a Nigerian.

2. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Jeffers has acidified copper sulfate. It is 86.36% copper sulfate to 13.64 citric acid. I wouldn't know what recipe/dosage to give this in. The recipe I had was using a product with 99% copper sulfate.

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Careful with copper sulfate as it can be real toxic and even kill a goat.....look around the net for alternatives..this topic has been discussed on here many times and there is all kinds of good info here if you search.

4. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Ok, from using the search I have decided I am terrified of the sulfate.

I also got the dosage of 1 gram per 22 pounds for the bolus. What if you have a 17 pound kid? The stunted doeling I got is 9 months and only 17 pounds. Would it be safe to do the whole gram? How am I supposed to measure a gram? AH!

Once I figure it out, I think I'll use the syringe with the squished bananas method.

5. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Also, if I give a goat 1 gram per 22 pounds...how often should I repeat the bolus? Once a year, twice a year? They all have access to Purina Goat Minerals, and get varying amounts of Purina Goat Chow (just switching over from All Breed) depending on the time of year and if they are growing, pregnant, lactating, etc.

Yay, found a digital, pocket sized jewelry scale on Amazon that will weigh down to .0001 of a gram and up to 1000 grams. $6 too.