copper oxide wire particle (CPORASUR) bolus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Suzy Q, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Suzy Q

Suzy Q Guest

Jan 22, 2010
    I believe my herd of neierians are copper defecient and I have bolused with coprasur.Now a friend of mine tells me it is easy to overdose a goat with coprasur.Needless to say I am terrified that I have done something that I shouldn't hae.But there is no test to check copper levels unless a necropsy after death is done.I need to know if anyone knows anything abot the copper bolus and haw safe is it or how hard is it to overdose with coprasure.NOT COPPER SULFATE which can overdose very quickly.I have read every site I can find including saanendoah but still have no answers My goats are minature goats.Someone please help.
    Susan in oklahoma

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The copper bolus is a slow release form of copper supplementation... With goats the bolus that is used for calves is broken down even smaller and dosed.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11044&start=0&hilit=copper+bolusing

You will find some very useful info in the thread above, as well as some comfort knowing that the bolus is safer than the Copper Sulfate.
    BTW...WELCOME!

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I bolused my boys a few months back.....I used the dosage of 1 gram COWP per 22 lbs of goat.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok I did all the weighing by grams and converted i to ccs

1cc is aprox 3.1 grams

1cc will dose a 68lb goat

1/2cc will dose a 35lb goat

its safe :thumb:

5. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi Susan
    I have 23 goats.
    I have found a excellent way to administer copper and have been doing this for seven years. Never had a problem and my goats (touch wood!) never have suffered health problems - that is true, never had a vet at my property!
    I add together 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and a measured quanity of 5 grams per head of blue copper sulphate each week, to water which whole barley is added and left over night.
    The barley soaks up the water and also the copper and vinegar and it is added to the goats grain mix and fed out daily throughout the week.
    The cider vinegar and copper seems to stop the barley from going off.
    Can half quanity of copper and make two preparations each week.
    Copper is safe if fed with the addition of dolomite which is also added to feed mix.
    Every day my goats receive powered dolomite and also seaweed meal (added to grain mix which I make up)

6. Suzy Q

Suzy Q Guest

Jan 22, 2010
    Thank you all for your replys I appreciate your support and input.I raise a small herd of nigerian dwarf dairy goats.I milk and show some of them.It seems like it is really hard to find a vet who knows anything about goats unless they are meat goats.
    I have really been blessed to find this site and am going to be doing lots of reading on here.The information is wonderful.
    Thanks Suzy.

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I am just curious about how you worked out these amounts. :?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the dosage is 1 gram per 22lbs

converting to ccs
    1gram = 3 ½ -4 units (just under 1/2cc)

2 grams = 6-7 units (just over 1/2cc)

so 3 1/2 units per 22lbs
    or 7 units per 44lbs

1cc is aprox 3.1 grams

1cc will dose a 68lb goat

1/2cc will dose a 35lb goat

(when I say units I am talking about units in a syringe)

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I guess I was over-thinking it...LOL! I thought you were actually converting grams to milliliters and not just going by the marks on the syringe after it had already been weighed out. :doh:

10. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Stacey...that is probably the single most useful tidbit of information I have received on copper bolusing...Thanks!!

I was getting ready to do my herd and last night I tried measuring it out this way. It was a LOT faster then any other way. Measured out 4 portions of 1cc (just shy, actually, so got around 3g) and only have a pinch left in the capsule. Walked out, handed the squished bred to 4 of the adults...done...took less then 5 mins!! Woohoo. Too bad I have to catch the new 2 year olds since they are standoffish and won't take a thing from me! But at least the measuring will be easy :) Thanks again