The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo.... Does it matter how I administer copper? Because I was thinking about opening up a capsule and making it into a peanut butter ball to give instead of trying to shove the pill gun thing down their throats. Wasn't sure if the copper being in the peanut butter would affect how the body would absorb it, or if it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I tried stuffing a marshmallow, no success...used to bolus them, it was a huge fight!!..but learned here if you cut the tip end off a large syringe...fill with 1 cc per 60# with copper rods..then top that with a bit of probios to hold them in..then down the hatch..make sure you get it behind the tongue and Ilike to follow it with a water chaser lol..wa**** all down..so much easier than bolus or marshmallows..

·
Registered
930 Posts
I feed mine animal crackers, so I drill a small hole in a couple crackers and fill them up with copper rods, three chomps and swallow down the hatch. I only have a few goats so not a big deal for me to do this.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I get dried fruit and slit a little hole in it. Then i place the bolus and a bit of honey in the hole and a few munches later they are done!

·
558 Posts
We did copper this weekend.
My hubby was convinced he could just get the capsule in and make them swallow.
Worked for one, the other bit the capsule and spit 1/2 out.
Is the copper as effective if it is not in a capsule to dissolve slowly?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
You dont want them chewing the rids..they need to go down whole..withthe sryinge..some does get lost the process but most goes down with no trouble..Do follow with a water drench to hep them get where they need to go : )

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all these great suggestions! :D Going to try the syringe technique and see how it works out. For some reason mine are really picky about taking crackers or cookies :rolleyes:

It's to my understanding that the rods embed into the lining of the stomachs and whatnot when swallowed whole, and the goat's body absorbs and uses it as needed. I wasn't sure if hiding the rods in food would hinder the process or not, but I think it probably won't matter either way. As long as it gets in 'em!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts