The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried giving mana pro goat minerals free choice to my goats today. My doe started eating a LOT and I got nervous that she was eating it to the point of copper poisoning. 1. How can I be sure she didn’t eat it to the point of copper poisoning? 2. How do I make sure she isn’t eating too much?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,752 Posts
I tried giving mana pro goat minerals free choice to my goats today. My doe started eating a LOT and I got nervous that she was eating it to the point of copper poisoning. 1. How can I be sure she didn't eat it to the point of copper poisoning? 2. How do I make sure she isn't eating too much?
Iirc the amount of copper in most minerals won't od her. And the copper in loose mineral is absorbed at a different rate/way than a copper bolus.. i do believe i saw in reading on it. . I am NOT positive. Most any livestock will lick mineral as often and as much as they need only. So if they had not had any in a while. Or not had any that they liked you may notice the first week the mineral will disappear quickly. But after that it should level off.
 

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
Joined
·
7,506 Posts
They won't OD on minerals, specifically not Manna Pro which has low copper to begin with!

It has a salt content scientifically measured to a point where they stop consuming it once they have enough salt which is LONG before poisoning can happen!

Copper poisoning takes a LOT of copper! Injectable forms of it and copper sulfate (pure, without dolomitic lime) are really the only proven causes. Copper boluses are not well absorbed and they are slow release, there have not been proven overdoses with them. Loose minerals contain copper sulfate and amino acid complexes etc. which are well absorbed, but the mineral has things to prevent overdose as said above (and you have no idea just how much mineral they'd have to consume to have too much copper sulfate. TOO MUCH!)

Your goat is going at the minerals because she needs them, she need as much as she can get if you haven't been offering loose minerals.

Leave it out, free choice 24/7, and her consumption will slow.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
8,394 Posts
They just drink a bunch of water after licking up the minerals. Mine do that if they are out of minerals for a few days. (stupid guy at the mill only orders 1 bag at a time)- I used 3 bags just filling all the mineral feeders and that lasts maybe 4 days. (My goats go through the minerals!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put about 1-1 1/2 cups out this morning. It’s gone as expected and Ila (my doe) is acting really sluggish. Her stomach is rumbling a lot more than usual.
 

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
Joined
·
7,506 Posts
Could you get a better tail photo? I would give some Replamin Gel, loader dose for 5 days, then once weekly for 2-3 more doses. Doing this will slow loose mineral consumption.

Put out less than a cup of minerals. Maybe 1/4 cup.

Give her probiotics and take her rectal temp since she is sluggish. Could be unrelated, but sometimes when they eat a lot it can throw off their digestion (but no, it’s not a mineral poisoning that does that).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could you get a better tail photo? I would give some Replamin Gel, loader dose for 5 days, then once weekly for 2-3 more doses. Doing this will slow loose mineral consumption.

Put out less than a cup of minerals. Maybe 1/4 cup.

Give her probiotics and take her rectal temp since she is sluggish. Could be unrelated, but sometimes when they eat a lot it can throw off their digestion (but no, it's not a mineral poisoning that does that).
It's dark now but I can get some in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
Joined
·
7,506 Posts
Most minerals already have salt in it, no need to add salt, if that is the case. ;)
I wasn't clear my bad - the extra salt may help slow consumption of the loose mineral if the goat just happens to be craving salt. Not for long term, just to help her adjust.
 

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
Joined
·
7,506 Posts
Yes!!

However, the OP said the goat consumed 1+ cups of the mineral in one day and felt sluggish.

The salt is in minerals to prevent over-consumption, but if the goat craves salt, they consume more than they need sometimes.

Adding salt by itself will take a little attention away from the minerals.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top