The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The one for goats and sheep work well, I was also wondering about that. I had a standard Nubian/Lamancha mix with a severe copper deficiency and I gave her the 100lbs - 200lbs dose, and she has almost made a full recovery. The copasure sticks in their system to release the copper when it's needed, I think that is why it is for sheep too, but honestly I don't know why people would copper bolus sheep if copper is so harmful to them, I did all my goats, and didn't do my 2 lambs. I just wanted to let you know that the copasure does:)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Never use a SHEEP and GOAT mineral mix. Sheep cant have nearly as much copper as goats. Sheep loose mineral mixes typically max out under 50 ppm. While a good Goat mineral mix will max out around 1200 ppm. So never use a sheep mix for goats. Always better to use a cattle mix.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Never use a SHEEP and GOAT mineral mix. Sheep cant have nearly as much copper as goats. Sheep loose mineral mixes typically max out under 50 ppm. While a good Goat mineral mix will max out around 1200 ppm. So never use a sheep mix for goats. Always better to use a cattle mix.
I think they were talking about copasure, the capsule, not minerals. It's strictly copper. I have to use a mineral mix for both sheep and goats because I have both but I now copper bolus my goats with the copasure stuff... Every 4 months .

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a question to add.

After Belle gave birth to her twins & lost her winter coat, I started noticing her red coat turning black. Yes, she ended up with the classic fish tail too.

Long story short, I gave her a copper bolus, changed feed (with the drought we have zero forage), and began adding loose minerals to her breakfast every day. I have been talking to the other local goat breeders & mentioned the amount of reading I have done and what I have learned. (When we first saw the other goat's red coming through her black coat, they thought it was genetics).

After all this rambling, let me ask my question. Other than a fish tail, how can you tell that white goat needs copper? With a red goat going black and a black goat going red, this is the question that the goat breeders have been asking me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Often a copper deficient goat, regardless of color, will have a rough or frizzy coat. Look for brittle and/or hooked-at-the-end hairs. They will present as anemic, too, though if it is anemia due to copper deficiency, added iron won't do the trick. Copper deficiency will also compromise their immune systems.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I use the Ultra Cruz, they are good people and ship very quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts