The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The breeder I purchased my milk goat from told me it is time to give my Nubian copper. The recommendation is give her 1gm for each 22 lbs body weight. I bought Copasure which is a 12.5gm bolus capsule. Trinnie weights 125 lbs so that is a little less than one half of one capsule (bolus). The only snack she likes are raisins so I opened one capsule and tried to divide the little rods into two equal piles. I soaked some raisins in a little water to soften them then mashed them into the rods. Most of the rods have stuck pretty well. I tasted the rods to see if they tasted bad but I couldn't tell that they had any flavor at all. Do you think this is safe to give her? I couldn't think of any other way to get her to eat them and the capsules cover broke when I opened it. I don't want to make her sick. Comments?

· Registered
3,499 Posts
Hi,
I'm having trouble getting my copper capsules into the goats. Can you explain a little more what you said, "I mix it with a mash or jam and "drench" them with it LOL " ??
Thanks
Drenching means forcing fluids into them. You typically use a dr3nch syringe (big and has a curved metal piece to go to the back of mouth so they cant spit it up

· Premium Member
28,342 Posts
Sure. I use an old horse paste wormer syringe because I can cut the opening bigger so the rods can fit through.

I first put some of the jam or mashed banana or apple sauce in the syringe. Then I mix the appropriate amount of rods with some of the mixture. I spoon this into the syringe. I follow it up with more of the apple sauce jam or banana.

I do it this way so that the first taste is of something yummy and the last taste is as well. If I just mix the rods then many times they feel/taste the rods and spit it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.