The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently realized my goats needed copper and bought Animax Copssure copper bolus for kids.

I thought the ‘for kids’ one would be good because of the dosage being 2g rather than the 4g that the regular copper bolus were .

Now I’m here about to give it to them and I see that it says ‘ for Use in ruminating KID goats only’.

The goats I wanna use it on are over a year old and are ruminating but they are not young kids . Weight wise it lines up tho . So is it safe to give it to them ?

It says it’s for goats over 25lbs and mine are right about 25lbs .

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I think it's talking about not giving to kids who are NOT ruminating. Ones that haven't had anything but mom's milk yet.
Yes that is exactly it. I'm not even going to try to explain it but basically the rumen has to be going before the rods in the bolus will work correctly. Go ahead and give to your year old goats ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is exactly it. I'm not even going to try to explain it but basically the rumen has to be going before the rods in the bolus will work correctly. Go ahead and give to your year old goats ;)
I had originally thought that too bc on one part of the bottle it SPECIFICALLY states to only give to Ruminating kids . But then on another part of the packaging it said only for goat kids . So I had to make sure . Confusing packaging plus a paranoid goat owner lol .

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The "only for goat kids" instructions are to steer people away from using them on lambs, I think.

But yes, these are safe for your year old goats. They are only copper oxide rods, nothing else, and are the SAME thing found in the adult goat boluses, the calf boluses, and the adult cow boluses. Just a smaller amount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts