Copper Sulfate as Worm Preventative

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by milkmaid, Oct 7, 2010.

1. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with copper sulfate for worm prevention. I really like Pat Coleby's book "Natural Goat Care," and in it she goes on and on about how important copper is, and how it prevents all kinds of worms. I can't find much info on it anywhere else. Does anyone have any success or failure stories? Or any information?
    Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    copper sulfate can be deadly if not properly administered. I would be careful with using it

3. milkmaid

I realize that - good that you brought it up though. Yes, I would definitely be careful!
    The author of the book used copper sulfate for years with complete success. According to her, not only does it get rid of flukes, coccidia, and intestinal and stomach worms, it keeps away hoof rot, plays a distinct part in CAE prevention, and prevents many other diseases. Sounds like a dream....I'd like to hear more testimonials than just hers though!
    Some friends of mine use it too and like the results. I've also done it for several months.

Here's a link to a review of the book with a couple of sample chapters if anyone wants to read them. In the chapter "Health Problems" there are sections on worms, liver flukes, and coccidia.

http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/press/naturalgoat.htm

Just thought I'd throw that out. :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well liz had a doe die and others come close to it after using the Copper Sulfate. I do know that by keeping the copper levels in my minerals, feed and supplements up then my goats look healthier, but I dont think I would rely on copper to treat for worms.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I myself would never use it after Liz's horrible experience with it.......I copper bolus every 6 months.

6. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    Yes it does control worms, including barbers pole worm,
    My parents have been a certified organic sheep farmers and it has been one of their main methods of controlling worms,
    but we have made a lot of mistakes and lost a lot of sheep to copper poisoning,

This was because of two reasons 1 our farm is high in copper & at certain time of the year some legumes are very prolific,
    and as legumes are high in copper and we very feeding Pat Coleby's Mineral Mix the result was NOT GOOD.......

Reason on 2 is the copper sulfate drench, must be the correct mix (not dads homemade mix) and it must be put it their mouth, not down the lungs,

If you were feeding is daily in their food I don't think there would be any concern.

It is only when you drench them, or they are getting too much via legumes that there is a concern, as far as I can see,

If you do get copper poisoning, dolomite, Vitamin C, & Charcoal powder work wonders,

In all the time I have been running goats (which was right through when we had problems with sheep & copper & since then) I have never has copper poisoning in my goats, in fact when the sheep were sick, the goats never looked better, they were dark colored girls tho,
    and as pat coleby says dark animals can handle, is it 10 times more copper then light, that is true, we never lost 1 black sheep,

Word of warning
    NEVER drench with neat copper in any form.....always use dolomite with it, as Pat says

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I used the same dosing as refferred to in the book mentioned, wether it was because the dosing was "made" for standard sized goats OR mine were getting plenty in their feed and minerals I lost my nigi/pygmy Tilly a year ago June 26th...2 days after I dosed, 3 others showed INSTANT signs of poisoning within 15 minutes of dosing.

I changed minerals to one with no added iron and higher levels of copper to help ensure they get what they need.

This was my experience, I'm sure others who have done this have done so successfully, I won't reccomend this form of supplementing due to the loss and near losses I had.

After a frantic call to Stacey, the yearling does were given activated charcoal gel and followed with Milk of Magnesia..Tilly did not show signs of poisoning but was given MOM as well...I found her as if she passed in her sleep just outside their door at 5 am on Monday...she was dosed at 4pm Saturday.

8. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    what was the mix you gave her? the actual recipe?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    1 level teaspoon with 30cc of water and given as a drench.

10. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    uh oh, that not a good mix, no wonder your doe got sick, :-(
    what book did you that from, ? :-/

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The one mentioned in milkmaids first post.

12. milkmaid

I am so sorry you lost her, Liz. :( :hug: Thank you for sharing your story.
    I add a little copper sulfate to their loose minerals, but the black goat needs some in her feed too...I'm always careful but will be doubly careful after hearing this.

13. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi Everyone

Well I swear by copper in the goats diet and by Pat Colby's recommendation in feeding. For eight years all the miniatures in my herd receive 5 grams of copper sulphate per head each week mixed in the water and apple cider vinegar that soaks the barley that is then feed in a muslei type mix each day. Never had a problem, they also have free access to a mineral lick block which has copper in it and drink the water from the water troughs which is treated with a trough block that also contains copper. I only worm once a year when the new green lush grass comes through beginning of winter and I do dose the does straight after kidding. New goats (which is rare) coming onto the property are always wormed as well. All keep in excellent health and look great. Have rescued some goats and they take up to around 5 months with this feeding regime and copper intake and find their coats and health improve. With the feeding regime above I do not have sickness or signs of worms in my goats.
    I understand Goats need copper to maintain their health in their bodies.
    To use Copper as a complete worming tool or drench, I think is risky. Goats naturally do get copper from browsing and pasture plants and giving a large doseage in one hit, I think is too risky for their bodies.
    - having correct copper levels it is presumed that the worms will not multiply and feed off the goat --therefore helps control the worms and the above mentioned problems. I do read alot of goat owners give copper as a drench. I would not drench with copper without having some testing done that the actual animal is lacking in copper and most certainly would have testing done before giving 1 tsp a day per head as Pat Colby states she has dosed -- there is no doubt you do have to be very careful...
    Sheep are less tolerate out of all livestock to tolerate copper.

14. milkmaid

Gumtree and Plumbago - glad to know it works for you! Guess you just have to be really careful. For myself, I like the results I have had so well I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing.

Gumtree, you mention dolomite. Where do you get it? The only place I can find it in bulk is Hoegger, and the shipping is rather expensive.

15. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I do add copper sulfate to our mineral mix as it does not have the higher amount they need. However, when I am doing this it is a small percentage of the overall combination that they are receiving. Although I felt that a lot of what Pat's book communicated was helpful I was worried since I have NDDGs instead of her full sized breeds.

It has worked for us here because of my caution in use but as others have said their is a serious potential for problems. You need to be very careful and assess all factors. What works for one person may not always work for everyone.

16. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Regards the dolomite -- I do add it to the muslei mix but cease giving to the does four weeks prior to kidding.
    In Australia - we buy it at local livestock or any farm outlet feed stores.
    Can also buy it in bulk. We spread it on your paddocks every three years as an alternative to using chemical fertilisers.
    Very high in calcium and magnesium and helps to breakup the soil.

17. SweetSaanens

SweetSaanens New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Hmmm, we are trying the copper recommendation in pat coleby's book this year. She has a mix that mixes the copper sulfate with the dolomite powder along with some other things (kelp etc.). She says to mix the copper with the dolomite so that even if they were to eat more than they should the dolomite will neutralize the excess copper.

I found dolomite powder online for $42 including shipping for 30lbs. http://www.jollygerman.com/products/goa ... mite.shtml

I have spoken to several organic goat farmers that have had great success with he recommendations in the book.

To anyone else that has used the formula in natural goat care, have you only used dolomite powder or is the ground dolomite ok too? (the store closer to us only has ground dolomite with a texture like salt)

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Copper Sulfate is used as a drain cleaner.... imho something that is used to clean my drain shouldn't be used on a living thing....

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Would have to agree with RunAround!

20. SweetSaanens

SweetSaanens New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Anyone like olives? Olives are quite often preserved with lye. Lye is also a drain cleaner.
    We all eat stuff that probably shouldn't be fed to a living things but goats NEED some copper. Some of the copper inside the goat balancer or mineral mixes is copper sulfate anyway. Probably the same goes for feed with copper in it.