The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to just go through the forum and look for issues with Copper Deficiency and see what people recommend; as well look online. Interesting enough though I found this article with descriptive x-rays on copper supplement with COWP.

http://rfaintingfarm.com/copper.html

We have a doe that kidded triplets on Friday and she really looks like she is copper deficient.

What do you all think of the method above, have you used it, heard of it? I find it interesting that it also helps with worms.

What are all of the copper deficiency symptoms (when we should be worried) and what is the best way to give a bolus? And what kind?

Momma doe has a dry sunburned textured coat and lacking good color in the coat as well. They are on free range grass with Showgoat grain and mineral blocks. She is up to date on Selenium shots (given another day after kidding along with the kids) I am really feeling that copper deficiency is the culprit here.

Advice please :).

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
The method above is just fine to use.

I cut off the end of a 3cc syringe and give them 1cc per 60 lbs. I top it off with Probios to hold the COWP in. Then I put the syringe in the back of their mouth and push the plunger. That way has been working fine for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The method above is just fine to use.

I cut off the end of a 3cc syringe and give them 1cc per 60 lbs. I top it off with Probios to hold the COWP in. Then I put the syringe in the back of their mouth and push the plunger. That way has been working fine for me.
That sounds interesting!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm interested in that too^^

I have a Pygmy so how much would you do for cc's? And you don't even need to use capsules?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Just used the marshmallow method on my ND kids. Used Ultra Cruz for kids. This worked so easy. No fuss or stress. Went right down. Thanks for the article. Glad to see that study!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
We have never needed to use a copper bolus. Our mineral mix is a cow mineral pre mix. Meaning it has much higher concentrations of minerals then what you would typically find in a mineral mix as its suppose to be mixed in with salt. But it has enough salt in it already for the goats.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Part of their mineral deficiency may be due to the mineral blocks. Goats can't get an adequate amount of minerals from them. It is better to give them a loose/granular mineral mix that is easier for them to eat. Make sure to find one that is labeled for goats, or cattle mixes can also be used.

·
376 Posts
I've been using Purina loose minerals for cattle... trying to remember what it's called ...Wind and Rain all season... I believe. The other goat minerals I have tried, the goats just didn't seem to care for. They seem to really like this stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts