The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! This is my first time posting here, though I've been reading other people's threads for a long time.:) Just a few days ago, I dosed my whole herd with the Copasure copper boluses, but I noticed that the package says "No other copper supplementation should be given immediately prior to or 6 months after administration of the capsule." This got me wondering... My goats are definitely showing signs of being deficient, and in my area (Northern NY), we are subject to both primary and secondary deficiency, because our water is FULL of iron. Now I'm questioning whether the Copasure will be sufficient. My instinct is to continue giving them loose minerals, but I'm afraid of overdoing it and ending up with copper poisoning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,342 Posts
Your instinct is correct.

It is fine, it is safe.

YOU MUST continue loose minerals.

I give loose minerals, copper bolus, and Replamin gel all together because of our water.

And I’d be open to giving more copper, too! That’s how safe copper boluses are and that’s how necessary that much copper is.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Sometimes package directions are spot on. Sometimes the direction are spot off. Thanks for coming here and checking.

If your goat is showing deficiency signs, then the regular copper source is insufficient. So continuing that insufficient source isn't going to cause a toxicity, and taking away that insufficient source isn't going to prevent a toxicity. Make sense now?

If not, think of it this way... Many people take a multivitamin, but when they feel under the weather, they'll reach for extra vitamin C. However, they'll still keep taking that multivitamin, won't they? They aren't going to deprive themselves of all the other nutrition just because they grabbed an extra orange that morning...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much, everyone! I did some research and found a better loose mineral that I'm going to switch to in addition to regular bolusing. Before we got goats I worked on a commercial (bovine) dairy, where I was fortunate enough to have our feed supplier's nutritionist do all of this figuring out for me. It looks like I'll have to crack open my old nutrition textbook this winter!:bookgoat:

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
What mineral mix did you decide upon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found out that our local lumberyard carries the Sweetlix Meat Maker 16:8. Does anybody else use it? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a meat goat mineral for our dairy goats?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Many of us like and use that mineral for dairy

Head and shoulders above Sprout in ingredients

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
You'll still need extra probably, especially to get them over a severe deficiency

1 - 12 of 12 Posts