Copper supplementing??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so confused about the copper thing. I want to supplement their copper but everything I have found to make a drench with is only 99.1%copper and everyone says you need 100%. Where do you get it??

2. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I'm probably no help here but I keep a trace mineral block in each pen with also loose salts for them.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have been researching this too but am still confused. I read one research paper that indicated oral supplemental copper is not effectively absorbed yet another that talked about copper toxicity from oral supplements in a herd of Nubians. Both from Vet Universities. My own vet s inform me without hesitation that I will kill my goats if I supplement copper but I have two aquaintences who have done so with good results re: immunity and worms. Soooooo.......
    Re: your specific question, if the copper really was 100%, it would be copper metal and drenching that would not work as the copper rods have to go to a certain part of the stomach. So I think that your 99% is probably the only soluable thing.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    That is true ETR lol I didn't think of that!! My vet also told me YOU WILL KILL THEM if you give them copper. :hair:

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well from experimenting with copper, I've found that copper supplementing with drenching is the safest and most affective form. If you use the 1% copper solution, you are only giving them enough copper to get them back on the road to being sufficient. When we first started out with goats, we used to feed them strait copper(not interpreting books right and not knowing anything otherwise) it was quite a bit of copper and our goats were sooooooooo sleek and shiny and we never had problems with toxicity. We did have one doeling(under a year) that got toxicity, she hung around the feeders after everybody was done eating so she was eating to much copper. We gave her nux vomica 30c three times a day for a week and it took care of it. Signs of toxicity are yellowish tinge to the eyelids and gums, and abdominal upset with teeth grinding, as well as not eating.

I'm not saying you should feed strait copper, even now as I look back I know that probably wasn't the best idea. But if you have a good mineral, but your darker goats still don't seem to be getting what they need, then I recommend doing a round of the copper drenches and see what happens.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Sarah - Where do you but your copper for doing the drenches?

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  8. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    We've made a goat lick, from Pat Coleby's Natural Goat Care book. It's 25Lbs of Dolomite, 4Lbs of SeaWeed meal, 4Lbs of yellow dusting sulfer, and 4Lbs of Copper sulfate. She says to use two grams per head per day for dairy goats. The lick must be kept dry. And you may need to add cobalt if your cobalt levels are low.

The goats don't really care for it plain, but we use it as a top dressing on their grain rations. Most will eat it that way. Exept for Heidi. She makes a fuss about it.

So far, we have not seen any toxicity problems, and everyone is in good health.

Mike

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Mike, I have always wanted to use that recipe, from Pat but I can not find all the stuff. Where do you get it? Dolomite, I do get Sea Kelp, Will that work? yellow dusting sulfer, and Copper sulfate.
    When I first started in goats years ago I used his book like a bible. That is one place I learned about Arnica Montana, I swear by it for everything, for them an me.

10. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    We bought the sea kelp (weed) is from Hoegger Goat Supply, the dolomite came from Southern States, but not one nearby -- our paster bought it for us. The copper sulphate and sulfer came from an Amish feed store, I never could get them to find dolemite.

Mike

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We used to use that lick, but we never had any luck with it, thats good to hear it works for you though :) I want to warn you to be careful with any extra sulfur you give your goats, it can cause polio if they get to much.