The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live near Austin and my goats are showing signs of copper deficiency. I am a goat newbie and have only just learned what the signs are, so I don't know if they have developed them in the last couple of months with us or if they already existed when we got them. Minor fishtail on two of the four, copper flanks on black goat. I would like my Alpine female to become pregnant and want to address her copper needs first.

I shop at Tractor Supply, and they have no copper products at all. I asked for an onyx cattle block, Copasure boluses, BoSe injections, or any copper supplement, they had nothing. I made sure they understood I wanted cattle supplies, so if TSC has these I would love to know specifics to ask for.

Where do I purchase the supplies? I prefer to shop in stores than online if possible.

Where do I get my soil tested? Or can I assume based on location and symptoms?

How do I weigh them so I can start to learn what doses of wormers and copper to give them? Or can I assume by breed and age?

Thanks!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
I don't live in the US, so I can't help you with where to get your copper or how to have your soil tested.

for weight, depends on what kind of goat you have. there's a weight chart from Fias Co Farm http://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm, but that's only for standard diary breeds. if you have other breeds, then google for a goat weight chart.

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
BoSe is from a vet or order from vetserv. Premade copper bolus can be ordered from Santa Cruz Biotech. Your local county extension office or USDA can help you with you soil test. If the goat is small enough you can use your bathroom scale. Your weight, the you plus goat. Large goats need a livestock scale or there is forumula based on heart girth. You need a mineral supplement. Free choice loose minerals is best. Sweetlix meat maker, Bullseye, Manna pro, BigV meat goat, numerous others or a 12-12 cattle mineral.

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You need a mineral supplement. Free choice loose minerals is best. Sweetlix meat maker, Bullseye, Manna pro, BigV meat goat, numerous others or a 12-12 cattle mineral.
I can't find anywhere locally or even online to buy the Cargill Onyx minerals, but here is what my TSC has online, though unsure if it is carried at my local stores.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/nutrebeefreg;-all-purpose-mineral?cm_vc=-10005

1,000ppm copper

or Manna pro Goat Mineral
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/manna-proreg;-goat-mineraltrade;-supplement-8-lb?cm_vc=-10005

1350ppm

How about this one at Valley Vet by Purina?

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...-c42c-40bf-ae4e-a5f8d9059885&gas=goat mineral

1750ppm

The Santa Cruz Biotech you mentioned has better prices on Copasure than Valley Vet or Jeffers.

Are most of you buying these copper items online? Am I missing on local sources from chain stores, or should I be checking the mom and pop places? We are suburban, so TSC is our main choice. I really hate shopping online: I have such a hard time comparing and figuring out what is what.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
We are almost neighbors!! I am from Lockhart and Caldwell county is in a very copper deficient area. It is also high in Zinc which is a copper antagonist as well. I'm not sure if Kyle is considered Caldwell county or Hays county. I can give you the link to look up your county to see the mineral levels there; I just have to find it. :D I ordered Copper Boluses from Jeffers Vet Supplies. I should be getting mine any day now! I can't wait because my goats have similar symptoms that yours do as well.

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Sara!

Do you do a free choice mineral? If so, do you buy online or locally?

We are in Lockhart a fair amount for our home school co op, visiting friends, etc, so I shop at that TSC. I haven't tried the other independent feed stores around there yet, though.

I'm assuming since you purchased your boluses online that you haven't found a local source for them?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi, Sara!

Do you do a free choice mineral? If so, do you buy online or locally?

We are in Lockhart a fair amount for our home school co op, visiting friends, etc, so I shop at that TSC. I haven't tried the other independent feed stores around there yet, though.

I'm assuming since you purchased your boluses online that you haven't found a local source for them?
No I sure haven't found a local source for the boluses. I get my mineral from Tractor Supply. I use Manna Pro goat mineral. It's pretty inexpensive. It's nice to see a local goat person here!!

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
Feed stores and Co0p are usually the best bet for goat mineral. Some will order if they are a dealer for that brand. BigV, Sweetlix, Cargill, and manna pro seem to be fairly common. You can sometimes get 25gr copper bolus from feed stores but u have to break those down and weigh out 4gr doses. It is easier for me to order from santa cruz.

For prescription meds, even BoSe and thiamine need prescriptions, you need a vet or order thru vetserv usa. The vets around me are too busy and too expensive. But, I can get some meds from them. Good luck

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Feed stores and Co0p are usually the best bet for goat mineral. Some will order if they are a dealer for that brand. BigV, Sweetlix, Cargill, and manna pro seem to be fairly common. You can sometimes get 25gr copper bolus from feed stores but u have to break those down and weigh out 4gr doses. It is easier for me to order from santa cruz.

For prescription meds, even BoSe and thiamine need prescriptions, you need a vet or order thru vetserv usa. The vets around me are too busy and too expensive. But, I can get some meds from them. Good luck
I've got those on my list to order from vetserv! It is just gonna take a little chunk of change to fill up my medicine cabinet!:D

·
Katrina
3,273 Posts
I ordered the Copasure from Jeffers. The 2g capsules were so easy to give to my ND's.
I also got my local feedstore to special order the Sweetlix mineral for me.
Since my goats are fairly small, I pick them up and step onto the scale with them :) My pregnant doe was 60# last week....that was a lift

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
I've got those on my list to order from vetserv! It is just gonna take a little chunk of change to fill up my medicine cabinet!:D
When I am down in Lockhart, you all are going to have to take me to the bbq places. I also plan to go to one of the Salt Lick bbqs when I am down there this summer.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
When I am down in Lockhart, you all are going to have to take me to the bbq places. I also plan to go to one of the Salt Lick bbqs when I am down there this summer.
That sounds fun!!

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This may be really ignorant, but atter researching copper oxide, is there any reason I cant make my own boluses? We have loads of copper wire after we just completed rewiring our entire house. Is it a purity issue? What is the source of the wire used for the commercial boluses? There is copper all over this place from leftover parts like electromagnetic coils etc. Seems a few 00 gel caps, some soap and water, and some wire cutters would do it.

Good idea or goat killer?

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
This may be really ignorant, but atter researching copper oxide, is there any reason I cant make my own boluses? We have loads of copper wire after we just completed rewiring our entire house. Is it a purity issue? What is the source of the wire used for the commercial boluses? There is copper all over this place from leftover parts like electromagnetic coils etc. Seems a few 00 gel caps, some soap and water, and some wire cutters would do it.

Good idea or goat killer?
Very bad idea. The rods are copper oxide not copper in bolus.

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Copper oxide is just copper exposed to air. Our wite is not greenish like the flecks in the loose mineral. Are the boluses when you take them apart copper colored wire or greenish?

·
LDS homeschool mom of 6
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We just have so so much copper around here. We have already recycled hundreds of dollars worth, and still have more. What is the difference between the bolus rods and electrical wiring? They are a certain purity of copper and oxidized quickly once we stripped the insulation, but not very green nor dark yet

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The copper boluses aren't that expensive so if it were me I'd get the ones made for goats just to be on the safe side.....that's just my opinion :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts