Copper toxicity-vs-hoof issue-vs-old age

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Xuxasmamma, May 16, 2016.

1. Xuxasmamma

Xuxasmamma Active Member Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Fort Smith, AR
    I have a 10year old nanny Pygora who has been acting strangely for about 2 months. She appetite is decreased,she lays down a lot, and sometimes sits with her front legs up in front of her with her chest off the ground. Her hind leg hair is coppery. I read an article on copper toxicity in pygmys. I did dose her back in January with Copper in between a marshmallow. I have done this before with all my goats, and never had a problem. Her poop is fine, she moves slow. I have cut her hooves-no infection although her rear left leg is definitely skinnier than the right and she keeps it raised and kinda crossed over the right leg. Her dew claw on that left leg is long and crusty and feels hollow.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    I would get her to the vet for an x-ray. It looks like she's hurt. How long has her leg been like that?

The rusty color takes a long time to go away after bolusing so I wouldn't be looking at copper as the issue. Her legs look strange to me.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    It looks like she broke it right above or at the top of her canon bone. I think a vet is in order.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    poor gal..def. a vet visit might be good...its obvious her leg hurts...its the why you need to find out...I also see her front hooves rocking back a bit..might need selenium, but that can also be the way she stands due to the back leg ..def. needs copper but that wont be the issue of her leg...

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, please seek a vet and xray.

What is her temp?

If it is normal or a bit sub, she needs her rumen rebuilt, give her probitics and fortified vit B complex shots for a few days. Or she may be in a lot of pain and not wanting to eat.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  6. Xuxasmamma

Apr 14, 2013
    Fort Smith, AR
    Thank you all for the advice-going to see a vet!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Let us know what they find.

8. Xuxasmamma

Apr 14, 2013
    Fort Smith, AR
    No break in her foot or hoof. No worms-but I could have told them that. No other issues. SO they gave her antibiotics just to cover in case something was going on and some anti-inflammatory for what they think is just arthritis. She seems in better spirits but her leg still hurts. She was pretty freaked out about going to the vet and shook and was so out of it for a good 3 hours. Im watching her carefully. I love her and she is my absolute favorite goat. It does worry me that she won't even eat her treats just alfalfa and forage.

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    poor mama...glad there is no break...might try adding some flax seed to help with inflammation...a daily adult aspirin and MSM for horses...

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, glad there is no break.

Praying for her.