The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Goats got too much copper

Hello, I have three milking goats at the moment that I think got too much copper. To make a long story short, my sweetitx mix got confused with a small one pound bag of copper sulfate that I sometimes use for drenching (with dolomite)... However that happened, I have taken them off of copper supplementation and am giving just dolomite. As far as I can tell they may have been getting as much as four teaspoons of copper a week for the past mouth without any dolomite which I usually give them but haven't recently because of ordering problems. They seem fine, no change in temperament. Should I be drinking the milk with such high levels of copper in them, and if not how long should I withdraw. The milk is for my family, so that is really my main concern at the moment. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
899 Posts
I know of a pretty large commercial farm on the east coast that had huge problems with copper toxicity the past year. They rapidly lost around sixty pregnant does to it. As far as I know they are still selling cheese from the herd while working closely with veterinarians to find the source of the copper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts