The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was wondering since copper deficient goats seem pretty common, that if you DONT treat them what will happen? I have a copper deficient Goat and i am treating her with Copper Boluses. But i was just curious what would happen if you didn't treat them?
Thanks in advance!
@Spades

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I honestly don’t know. I see so many people with deficient goats and most of the time they seem fine. Until it gets really bad. However copper is a bit different, because it has to do with parasite resistance, and you’ll know when your goat really really needs copper because they get overrun with parasites. Same with their coats, when a goat starts losing hair and almost going bald from copper which I’ve seen happen, it’s very bad.

However I see goats walking around with fishtails and selenium tails and really I don’t see any other problems with them.

I think it depends on the severity.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I honestly don't know. I see so many people with deficient goats and most of the time they seem fine. Until it gets really bad. However copper is a bit different, because it has to do with parasite resistance, and you'll know when your goat really really needs copper because they get overrun with parasites. Same with their coats, when a goat starts losing hair and almost going bald from copper which I've seen happen, it's very bad.

However I see goats walking around with fishtails and selenium tails and really I don't see any other problems with them.

I think it depends on the severity.
OK, i didnt now if they would have a hard time kidding? Or if they would have dead kids?

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
There was a very informative thread in a Nubian group on this issue recently. Severe copper deficiency can also cause weak muscles, sway back, teeth grinding, poor bone development, of course coat issues, being more prone to parasites, etc - especially in a young pregnant doe who needs a great mineral foundation. Binders include iron, and high levels of vitamin C (which I was not aware of). I think the better question is, if you know you are deficient, why wouldn't you bolus??????

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I think it depends on the goat. Some goats are "tougher" than others and can withstand more stuff and survive in less than ideal situations. But IMO, ideally you would never wait to see what happens. If they are showing any signs of deficiency, then supplement/treat them accordingly. You want them to look healthy and act healthy.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
8,175 Posts
Back before copper was administered by the bolus's, you can look at old goat photos (especially at the National) and see all the fish tails.

Hopefully our goats now are more healthy, but maybe not!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Back before copper was administered by the bolus's, you can look at old goat photos (especially at the National) and see all the fish tails.

Hopefully our goats now are more healthy, but maybe not!
I'm always curious if judges notice the fishtails and mostly the selenium tails because it can look like a confirmation error.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Mineral deficiencies are cumulative, so if not corrected, they cause worse and worse problems.

Some people maintain at a deficit level, so it looks like there's no harm, it looks like a conformation problem, it looks like it's no big deal, and it isn't getting worse so it isn't that big of a deal.

However, maintaining at a correct level doesn't cost any more than maintaining at a deficit level. And you don't have the problems.

Now, GETTING the goats to the correct level will cost more than settling for the deficit level. But once you are there, maintenance is maintenance. And as I said, you don't have the problems that come with minerals being out of whack.

That's how I see it.

Ultimately, ALL deficits, left to grow, will kill. And all minerals are connected to all the other minerals, and you can have a domino effect.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts