The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my white goats turning light red almost muddy and my black goats were getting reddish tints on their flanks. Didn't take much time on here to discover they need some copper. I have ordered copper bolus from my
co-op, yesterday I introduced loose minerals (spec sheet attached) is that enough copper, or do I still need to bolus. Is this discoloring reversible or permanent?

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Oops, didn't realize you said loose minerals! I still don't think its enough, we just gave our goats red cell which has TONS of copper in it, because they were also anemic.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The coloring is reversible, but you probably need to copper bolus... I had all my goats on manna pro, and one girl was still so deficient she couldn't get pregnant... Copper bolusing is easy and it is a time release...

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
1,500ppm is perfect for goats. Feed them that for a while, and it will probably turn them around. You may still need to bolus, but where I live I don't have too, the loose mineral is enough. Certain goats are more susceptible to copper deficiency though.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
How come my vet says copper boluses don't do any good?
I'm not sure... I'm pretty new to goats I've owned them about a year and a half now. One of my girls was so bad she wasn't able to get pregnant... She had a reddish tinge color to her, and she was going down hill fast...:( A month after copper bolusing her she was black like her sister, and she became more playful and alive....:) I believe she could be bred now... January babies if that is the case... In WA we are severely copper deficient because of all the rain.... Maybe your vet thinks your area is not deficient... Here are the before and after pics.... Last pic she's on the right:)

Attachments

·
2,377 Posts
If you look at the tails and the very tips are scabby or balding so that it makes the hair part into a 'fish tail' that is how I assume our goats are copper deficient. One mostly is having trouble with this. I have never had to copper supplement but we didnt have as much browse this year to give the goats as we have in past and without browse and/or minerals.. most goats get deficient in copper.

Q: How do some of you get those large copper pills down their throats.. I don't have the pill poke gun tool.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that looks just like my black alpine, I can't wait to get the bolus in them and get them strong and pretty for winter. I introduced BOSS a few weeks ago and it has really slicked up some of the girls coats. Are there other ways to get the copper into the goats? An old farmer I met at the co-op said he could not bolus by himself anymore so he would sprinkle the copper onto warm cubes of cornbread and cover with molasses to hold in place. Hell, I might eat that myself. Any ideas? My buck is a 260lb Saanen with 30" horns, though he is gentle, I usually just let him do what he wants. Pic attached.

Attachments

·
2,377 Posts
Wow.. look at those big horns! And look at all that green browse you have on your property. Honeysuckle is really good for goats. Our goats really only have oaks and dry grass unless we have willow branches and honeysuckle and other trimmings to throw into their pens. The copper is supposedly supplied through good browse and I think mostly in the stems but I can't remember where i read that so not sure but I do know with proper browse, they usually get a good balanced diet.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is what I assumed also, these 21 goats cannot keep up with the growth on 25 acres, they have tons of browse, blackberry, honeysuckle, mamosa, pine, cedar, boxwood hedges, you name it. But indeed they are showing all the classic signs of copper deficiency.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
With him I would just stick a capsule in a piece of bread put honey, jam or molasses inon it and give it to him. It supposed to go down whole..., but it does work still if they chew it... Yeah, I would let him be too, he's beautiful though.. I got a balling gun at the local feed store today for 1.99 so really inexpensive.

·
2,377 Posts
Well. the copper bolousing gun thing didnt go like planned. We were afraid to shove it down their throat too harshly and they all ended up catching it in their back molars and crunching up the whole capsule. So we wouldnt let them spit it out and I ended up giving them frosted rice check cereal to help them crunch the rest all down. Well. it is all what it is now. That didnt go as smoothly as I hoped.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Well. the copper bolousing gun thing didnt go like planned. We were afraid to shove it down their throat too harshly and they all ended up catching it in their back molars and crunching up the whole capsule. So we wouldnt let them spit it out and I ended up giving them frosted rice check cereal to help them crunch the rest all down. Well. it is all what it is now. That didnt go as smoothly as I hoped.
Don't feel bad mine didn't go as smoothly either this last time.... Basically the same thing...:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts