The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my feed store only supplies sheep and goat feed in pellets i was thinking that I need to give my goats an extra copper supplement after learning how important it is. But they aren't showing signs of copper deficiency that I can see (they are white so it's kinda hard lol) I was wondering if it will hurt my goats to copper bolus them if they aren't deficient. Thanks! And I'm thinking for my next bag of feed I'll buy the nutrena sweet feed that's made only for goats

·
Super Moderator
59,951 Posts
What kind of mineral do you have out? There really isn't much in a feed anyway. Many people do copper bolus twice a year. Some more, some less. You will have to figure out what is good for your goats.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have manna pro goat mineral out but they dont seem to be interested in it. if i do copper bolus will it hurt them if they arent deficient? my larger doe has a really shiny coat while the other one looks a little duller and her coat just isnt as nice as her sisters. and the smaller one may have a fish tail but im really not sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these are a few pictures of my girls. The all white one was really little when i got her and she was i guess the "runt" but she has grown a lot since i have had her. She was sold as only a pet because the breeder thought she may never be big enough to breed and i feel she is the one that has a little bit of a shaggier coat and she also doesnt have as good of a confirmation as her half sister

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
59,951 Posts
While it is possible to OD with copper, it is less likely to happen with the bolus because they very slowly absorb the copper from the rods. It really shouldn't hurt to bolus them but it is ultimately up to you to decide what is best.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this a good idea?
To take a 4g copper bolus and split it in half and put it into a syringe with some pro bios and Apple sauce, then drench each goat with half the bolus so they each get 2g per 26 lbs?
When i was doing research some sites said to give probiotics and vitamins with the copper

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
What is that half the dose??? If your concerned then give it a try...like karen said its not overly easy to od them. I don't think its a 'you need to' give the vit. I don't give anything other then the copper when its time. I think what your reading is when you have your hands on them give them everything your wanting to give so you don't have to keep catching them and stressing them. I k ow some vit. You can od them on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the dosage is 2g for 22lbs? So half of the 4g bolus for a goat that is 26lbs should be good. And I do want to give my girls some pro bios so I guess if I combine it then they only have to get drenched once

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
You really are supposed to give the copper boluses whole. Reason being is that the gel cap that they are in sticks to their system and releases as they need it. I gave all my goats 4gs and I have smaller ones. I just put probiotic paste on a cattle pill popper thing and put the bolus in there, then get it to the back of their throat and pull the trigger...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 4g boluses would be okay for my 26 lb goats? They are little guys.
And thanks :) what vitamins can they od on? Just so I know for future reference. Because I wanted to put vitamins in their water

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
The 4g boluses would be okay for my 26 lb goats? They are little guys. And thanks :) what vitamins can they od on? Just so I know for future reference. Because I wanted to put vitamins in their water
My little guy Beebop is 4 months now, and I gave him 4gs, he's about 30 lbs. He's a kinder. The thing is though it must go down whole and not chewed. The probiotic paste is used so it sticks to the boluser and it has a more pleasant taste then plain old plastic, LOL. The best way to give them pretty much all they need is through free choice loose minerals. I use manna pro and sweetlix. What vitamins are you wanting them to have? I also give mine kelp meal free choice.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I buy the 12.5g and the 25g jars and break them down to individual doses, mix with yogurt, draw up in a 60cc syringe (only mix about 10-15cc yogurt with the loose copper) open their mouth and put the syringe as far back as you can, and drench it.
They don't need to be in the gel capsules, it still works without.

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
The dosage is 1 gram per 22 lbs, so if your goats weigh 26 lbs, then they only need just over 1 gram. In winter it can be harder to tell if they are deficient or not because their coats can be pretty long. Also, the one with the duller coat, are you sure she is not wormy?

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
I think just about any vit. They can of on. I know for sure the a and d because I started to give that before kidding and read they can so I'm a total chicken and only give a half cc but its good to give the doe to pass onto the kids to fight scours. And yes the selenium...... that's all I give so that's all I know of.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay thank you everyone! I give manna pro minerals and kelp meal free choice. I'm in northern nj and I really don't know if we are copper deficient :/ maybe someone from the sussex county nj area/orange county ny knows?
I just had a fecal done last week and they are worm free :) so I know that's not a problem. About 2 weeks ago I added boss to their morning grain also. I feed a sheep and goat feed so I was a little concerned they wouldn't get enough copper but they eat their minerals every day

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I too have sheep, and that is why I copper bolus every 3 months, as sheep are not supposed to have high amounts of copper. So for the goats and sheep that run together (I have separate pens in the barn) I give the sweetlix and the kelp meal. The others (just goats) manna pro and kelp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts