The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so after looking around i think my goats need copper, a couple of them have fish tails/dull coats........ how do i get them copper? i'd prefer not to give them meds/shots, is there a way to naturally get them copper? like something to just add to their feed or something similar? Also, are you supposed to give them something so that they dont get, is it copper deficiency? Thx in advance :))

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Do you have a good loose mineral out for them?

You can give them a copper bolus if they are deficient. It’s a capsule with tiny copper wires in it. The dosage is 1g of copper per 22 lbs. You can buy 2 or 4 gram blouses from most any farm store. You can open the capsules and divide as needed. To give it, you can use a pill gun or hide it in a treat or sprinkle it over food you’re sure they’ll lick up.

·
Administrator
85,684 Posts
They will need loose salt and minerals out free choice. Sweetlix Meat Maker is a good one but there are others out there.
Some cattle minerals are good for goats. Check the label.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,617 Posts
This is my FAVORITE mineral. 👇 Never had to give a copper bolus and my goats show NO signs of being deficient - super duper shiny coats! Now, this is just what works for me, it might not work as well for you. 😉

Purina Wind and Rain Storm All Season 7.5 Complete Beef Cattle Mineral, 50 lb.

Plant Publication Font Working animal Box

·
Administrator
85,684 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
The only mineral I'd recommend is Purina goat mineral or Sweetlix. According to Deborah Niemann those are the best. Those both would have the right amount of copper, though if you're are showing signs of deficiency I would still bolus them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you post some pictures of them?
i'll try to remember to take some pics tonight when i go to feed them.

The one that has the faded coat/fishtail is one that i bought in August, and i dont think she ever really had a shiny coat but i dont know for sure abt the tail. . . my other goat that i think has a fish tail is one that i showed at the fair and so i trimmed the end of her tail off, but now it seems thinner, and didnt grow back in like the other goats i trimmed tails on......

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a good loose mineral out for them?

You can give them a copper bolus if they are deficient. It’s a capsule with tiny copper wires in it. The dosage is 1g of copper per 22 lbs. You can buy 2 or 4 gram blouses from most any farm store. You can open the capsules and divide as needed. To give it, you can use a pill gun or hide it in a treat or sprinkle it over food you’re sure they’ll lick up.
i have a sheep and goat protein block from farm and fleet in the pen now, they just finished a goat mineral tub that i got from a local feed store.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my FAVORITE mineral. 👇 Never had to give a copper bolus and my goats show NO signs of being deficient - super duper shiny coats! Now, this is just what works for me, it might not work as well for you. 😉

Purina Wind and Rain Storm All Season 7.5 Complete Beef Cattle Mineral, 50 lb.

View attachment 214781
how much does that bag cost? do u give it to them every day?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you post some pictures of them?
okay so this is the goat that i think is copper deficient by her coat.. its very dull colored, and the end of like the long hair along her spine and almost like split ends haha

i also have a question abt her coat.. so i bought Eliza in August, she was a rodeo goat.. i didnt know this until after i had bought her and the saanen thats next to her in the pic, otherwise i most likely would not have bought them just for that lol they are suprisingly really nice tho.. but anyway, the hair along her back is longer than the rest.. do they cut it like that for rodeo or does it naturally grow like that? its basically the same as a bucks........ any ideas? i was going to clip her and then see if it grew back like that again but now its getting down in the 20's at night so i'll wait till spring.
Dog breed Fawn Snout Livestock Tail

Working animal Fawn Wood Terrestrial animal Natural material

Here is the goat with the weird tail. Myrtle has had some health problems since this summer so maybe thats part of it, but her tail has not grown in like Lola's, who i trimmed 2 weeks after Myrtle. The first pic is Myrtle's tail, second is Lola's. :) The black part is the tip of her tail. i didnt trim it that short. . . .
Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers Fawn Wing
Eye Plant Window Wood Grass

if any other pics would be helpful, like different angles or different things lmk!!
Thx for ur help. :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
how much does that bag cost? do u give it to them every day?
It cost me $40 for a 50lb bag at my local TSC. I have been feeding it free choice like you should do for any mineral. I'm currently using the last of a bag that I bought serval years ago, it lasts a long time for my small herd. I store it in a 50lb pet food bin from Walmart to make sure it stays fresh.

Reactions: brigieboo

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
okay so this is the goat that i think is copper deficient by her coat.. its very dull colored, and the end of like the long hair along her spine and almost like split ends haha

i also have a question abt her coat.. so i bought Eliza in August, she was a rodeo goat.. i didnt know this until after i had bought her and the saanen thats next to her in the pic, otherwise i most likely would not have bought them just for that lol they are suprisingly really nice tho.. but anyway, the hair along her back is longer than the rest.. do they cut it like that for rodeo or does it naturally grow like that? its basically the same as a bucks........ any ideas? i was going to clip her and then see if it grew back like that again but now its getting down in the 20's at night so i'll wait till spring.
View attachment 214861
View attachment 214862

Here is the goat with the weird tail. Myrtle has had some health problems since this summer so maybe thats part of it, but her tail has not grown in like Lola's, who i trimmed 2 weeks after Myrtle. The first pic is Myrtle's tail, second is Lola's. :) The black part is the tip of her tail. i didnt trim it that short. . . .
View attachment 214863 View attachment 214864

if any other pics would be helpful, like different angles or different things lmk!!
Thx for ur help. :)
The brown goat REALLY needs copper. Since they already look pretty deficient, I would give them a bolus and loose mineral as soon as possible. Other than being deficient, I think her coat looks fine. Are you currently offering them any minerals?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Myrtle definitely looks copper deficient, the sparse tail hair is a sign. Rough feeling, faded fur and hair with hooked tips are also signs of copper deficiency. I would bolus all of your goats like @FizzyGoats described.

A protein block or tub is not going to supply what they need. Free choice minerals (sand consistency) need to be available. We use Purina goat mineral. They can also have a salt lick.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts