The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone in our local (state) FB goat group had a post today asking about what to use for coccidia in his goats. A couple people commented about using corid, which is what I use to prevent coccidia in my kids (I treat them for 5 days in a row, repeating every 3 weeks until weaned). A fairly popular breeder in our area kind of freaked out (in a good way), saying that Corid can "deplete Thiamine and cause polio..." She said that one of her customers accidentally killed a goat by giving it Corid.

Another person said not to get Corid as well, that it cause health problems especially for kids.

So what is the truth in this? I gave Corid last year to my kids as a prevention and they were completely fine. So far this year no problems either. Should I just stop with the Corid? Anyone else hear of Corid being dangerous?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
My vet told me to use Marquis instead of corid for my kids, apparently it's like toltazuril. She said it works better and it's easier on their system. I've never heard of corid causing polio though, but I'm fairly new to raising goat kids.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@Goat_Scout
If you are using Corid to treat coccidia, then you should not use B-Complex, fortified or not, because the thiamine in it makes the Corid unable to do it's job of killing the cocci.

So your goats would still be open to the coccidia paramecium.

A lack of thiamine is of course what your friends are worried about with the Goat Polio. In their minds, that Thiamine connection has gotten a little bit twisted together.

I'm not saying to use, or not to use Corid. I use Corid but know that it isn't the treatment in favour. Don't give B-1 when giving Corid. When the treatment is over it is fine to give B-1.

I'm only explaining the guilt by confused association.

I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I used Corid in both alpacas and goats and never had a problem. I think if there is a thiamine issue, I suspect there is more going on due to the fact if you look at the number of goats who are given Corid versus the number of goats who end up with a thiamine issue.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
When used proper Corid can be effective. Many are finding it no longer works for them. The key is to dilute and measure correctly. Personally I like Toltrazuril but if you have been using corid this long with no ill effect..stick with it. I do suggest to keep Thiamine on hand and watch close for signs of polio. If you see any off behavior, stop corid and give thiamine asap.

Reactions: groovyoldlady

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
https://www.corid.com/CoridProducts.html

How CORID works:
Structurally, CORID mimics thiamine (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction.
When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamine deficiency and starve from malnutrition.

Corid does not rob the goat from thiamine, it robs thiamine from the cocci itself.
I have been using corid for many years now,since 2000 for treatments and now prevention, with not one case of polio associated with the use of corid.

If a goat is really weak to start, I highly recommend going another treatment route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts