Corid mixing?

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by sad1199, Jul 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sad1199

sad1199 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Okay, Thumper has weird poos so I took him to the vet. She sent some out and found out that he doesn't have worms, but he has coccidiosis(?). I got Corid from the feed store. I can't put it in his water because of our dog. She told me the ratio to break it down so we can give it to him orally, but he can taste it and does NOT like it! Is he supposed to be able to taste it? Is it more concentrate because we are giving it all at once? Has anyone ever had to dose one goat with a syringe? I feel bad holding him and forcing it down his throat... My poor Thumper! I put some apples in some and coated them really good and he ate those, but it was not enough of the meds. Anyone have any answers or ideas? Thanks!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:

Dosage: Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water. A smaller batch can be made, by cutting it in half.

Then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs

treat individually for 5 days 1x a day

It tastes awful, yes, they taste it. But it will help rid the cocci :(

3. sad1199

sad1199 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you. The measurements she gave me are the same, but Thumper is only 51 lbs and she has him at 30 a day. Can you over dose? I gave him 30 today already. I just want to be sure, I haven't used this vet before.:confused:

4. sad1199

sad1199 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Also, she didn't say anything about vitamin B complex. Where do I get that and how much do I give? I am getting even more :eek:worried now...

5. still

still Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    I've always used Corid straight out of the bottle? per my vet......I've not heard of "mixing" it. It works well and the thiamine issue I've also heard is for long term use not your 5 day regimen......

image-637344258.jpg

This is what I use and give 1cc per 30lbs......has always worked for me without problems :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. sad1199

sad1199 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    The Corid is in powder form. I had to buy a 10 oz bag just for my sweet baby!! I guess if I ever need it again or again or again, I will have it. I just don't want to give him too much and make him worse.

7. still

still Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    Oh ok........I see now :). It's nice to have even though this site doesn't recommend it......I've always had good luck with it "knock on wood" but I have heard of it not working for some........I think some producers use it as a prevention in the animals water which can over a long period of time affect thiamine uptake but I wouldn't sweat it for the short term use

8. sad1199

sad1199 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Why doesn't this site recommend it? I am so confused. My husband says trust the vet, so I guess I will do that... :worried:

9. still

still Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    Don't be worried........most on this site say its a thiamine inhibitor which can cause goat polio which is a concern for long term use......don't get too worried about it.....many have used it without problems. Go with what your vet recommends and get your goatie well :) the b complex contains thiamine which can help prevent goat polio but like I said before many use it in drinking water as a prevention and for long term which I think is where the problem occurs. I have given Corid many many times without b complex and have never had a problem. There is a lot of great information on this site as well as support from great goat people so just take it all in stride and youll figure out what works for you. What works for some may not work for others and if you work alongside a knowledgable vet and here things will be ok:)

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I dilute it, per my vet. But, I guess both ways have been used with success, use you best judgment which method you want to use. I was debating on going straight myself, but didn't know the dosage but do know, LOL ;)
    As to the 30cc's a day, being diluted, that is way too much, I personally would go 15.5 cc's, because it is 15cc for a 50lb goat. SO the 1/2 cc would help to achieve at least the proper weight of the goat. Overdosing is really bad with corid, that is when you get into Polio issues. :(

As to the fortified vit B complex shot, I would wait til after all treatment of 5 days, then, hit the kid with 3cc's US, unless you see weakness or acting off then, do it right then.
    I have never had an issue with giving corid at proper dosage. And I do not always give Vit B complex shot. Again use your best judgment and do what you feel is right.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  11. sad1199

sad1199 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for all the info! I will do the 15 cc. I need to get the vit B though. I guess I am off to the feed store.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome, it would be 15.5 cc's ;)

13. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I've used Corrid with no problems. I use a drencher to give the dose to my affected kids. If some dribbles out I give them a wee bit more.
    However, due to the thiamine problem possibility I will switch to a different med in the future - once this bottle (ours is liquid) is gone.

14. sad1199

sad1199 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Okay. I gave Thumper five doses of the Corid. I hope he got enough. He can be a spitfire when it comes to taking his medicine. But, I am pretty sure my sons and I got it in. His poos look almost normal again, still a little sticky, but they are pellets. He seems fine. Should I give the vitamin B complex shot? Will that hurt him if he doesn't need it? Thank you for all the info. I spoke to my breeder and she said to change vets. The vet I went to that advertises small farm animal care does not know what she is doing. I am looking for another because I want to have his poo checked again next week to make sure we got it all.