Corid question and behavior????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Sep 9, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have read so much about Corid that I am on overload.....Jake and Elwood have been on it for a five day dose per vet.....talked to him yesterday, he wants to do another fecal in 10 days to 2wks....makes sense......this morning I noticed that when I let them out they both kind of hunched their backs.....which they have been doing first thing in the morning and then they poop after a bit and I don't notice them doing it the rest of the day....is this normal?, I thought maybe they were doing this because of the Cocci......so I am wondering if I should continue the treatments and should I give un-diluted for a couple of days? I have read so many things, either for or against Corid...and un-diluted or diluted?????? They are both eating and drinking.....poops look normal. I have B1 ready to give them once they stop treatments....vet said that would be fine, but really didn't think they had been on the Corid long enough to really deplete them of Vit B......I really like my vet and don't want to question him.....but I feel like you that live with goats everyday probably know what's best......so any advice would be appreciated :) !
    Thanks, Denise from Indiana

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Corrid is an amprolium coccidia drug, most cocci drugs are sulfa drugs. Sulfur depletes the rumen of thiamin by producing thiamese(I know thats not spelled right) which ties up the thiamin in the rumen, causing deficiency. Corrid depletes the thiamin in the rumen more so than regular sulfa drugs, depleted thiamin in the rumen can and usually will lead to polio. It is very important to give extra B1(thiamin) after completing a course of cocci treatment.

As to them being hunched up, were they hunched up all the time? Or acting off in any other way? I'm sure they have a tummy ache from the treatment, if they are still acting off I would give them some probiotics.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Sarah for your response.....could I give them some yogurt that I have on hand? It is flavored.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    cdtrum ,, NEVER GIVE CORRID "UN DILUTED" my vet told me to make sure you dilute it or you can kill your goat................ Your vet should know this and give you the dilution sums and dose after DILUTED ONLY is mixed........... I use it as directed by my vet for 5 days once a day...........I believe in it and never ,ever got a sick goat ............within the next day the animal's stools are back to normal...... and you should never........ never stop medication as recommended unless your veterinarian says so............... :shrug: