The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have goats and sheep and I noticed that my sheep won't eat the corn anymore. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cracked corn from Tractor Supply

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know goats can get sick from overeating disease but i just read that sheep can get Laminitis from acidiosis which caused by excessive intake of grain.
hmmmm...

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
i know goats can get sick from overeating disease but i just read that sheep can get Laminitis from acidiosis which caused by excessive intake of grain.
hmmmm...
Overeating disease in goats is generally associated more with milk than solid food. Any animal can founder from any grain that is fed at a higher rate than 1-2% of their body weight without building them up gradually. Acidosis is usually associated more with ground corn than cracked because ground has smaller particles, thus they consume it faster.

How much are you feeding, what did you start them out at and how long ago? Do they have diarrhea?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Diarrhea.
Thank you for your advice. I will toss the corn, clean the trough and start over in smaller amounts - just in case the corn was moldy or in case mold developed in the troughs since we've had quite a bit of rain.

Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts