Correct feeding amounts

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by mistyblue, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Ok my SO says that my goats, especially the bucks are to fat. So I have been researching on what amount each should be fed. Right now I dont really measure what I give them. Just a scoop or two of a 3 quart horse feed scoop, depending on how many per pen.

I found this site, http://fiascofarm.com/goats/feeding.htm#grain, and wondered if this would be the correct feeding for Nigierian dwarfs.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    For ND that are dry they dont need grain... maybe a handful once a day

for milking does you want 2-4cups per milking

for bucks in rutt give them around 2 cups once they are out of rut they dont need grain

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Ummmm then I have been over feeding, way over feeding.

Here is a pic of my one of my bucks, but he is so hairy it is hard for me to tell if it is fat or not.

taken in December
    [​IMG]

Here is the other one - taken in October
    [​IMG]

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    The best way to see if an animal is too fat is to feel its backbone - not to look at its sides - as that could just be a hay belly or something.

Google "condition scoring" and it'll probably bring you up with a lot of info. Basically you want to be able to feel the horizontal bits of the animal's spine, and the vertical bit... but not too much... hmm google it, google is more informative than I am and it has pictures :greengrin:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well they dont look overly fat but thats hard to tell sometimes in a picture

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    So some people never feed their goats grain unless they are prego, lactating, or in rut?
    That is crazy.. it would save so much money spent on grain.. Our goats would get way too skinny without grain though, even though they always have good quality hay.

Guess its probably because they burn so much off from the horrid cold but still =\

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Your boys look good to me!

If you can feel there spine without pushing and it has some meat on either side,they are good, if you have to "dig" to find the backbone, back off the grain :greengrin:

I give each of my boys 2 cups of goat feed 1x a day as well as all the 1st cut timothy hay they want and I still can feel their spines....need a bit more meat on them IMO.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea amos.. my does only get grain when they enter the third trimester of pregnancy and all through lactation. the bucks get some grain in rut. and when they are breeding

other than that its a treat, but i do live in a much hotter climate than you do.. your girls must be freezing