Correct form/structure/conformation of ND's and Pygmies

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlecBGreen, Jul 14, 2009.

1. I saw this great post on correct udders (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7784) and I realized I really dont know how a goat should look. :doh: Does anyone have a good website or book to suggest? Anything with pictures would be great! Im raising about a dozen Nigis and Pygmies and I will be looking to "update" my herd with some better genetics so I should probably know what to look for first! Thanks!!

Alec

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

3. Thanks! Those provide some excellent descriptions! Do you know any more with pictures? Im a visual learner :greengrin: Pics like this are excellent

[​IMG]

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Like color pics? Or conformation?

5. yeah, conformation. Something like this:

[​IMG]

"Here you can the goat has a good, deep chest, level top line, the nose is a little too pointy, ... etc"

BTW, those are from my first kidding season this year. Jesus is on the left, next to his sister Soledad.

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Cute. ;) Give me a sec to resize some. ;)

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Hope this helps...

The heads should include erect ear set, wide and strong jaw, and a short and compact muzzle.[attachment=4:3ia1nbpl]sugar's head.jpg[/attachment:3ia1nbpl]

Pygmies should be deep and wide in the brisket. Their legs must be straight. Toplines level. Thick and muscular neck.

Need any other pics, don't be afraid to ask. :)

Attached Files:

8. o m g ! those are SO CUTE!!! thanks so much for sharing your expertise :cool:

any volunteers out there who can show me what a real Nigi should look like? :pray:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  10. AlaskaBoers - excellent, just what I was looking for. Thanks!!!

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks! I am sure someone on here will help you out with the NDs. ;)

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Am I the only one who has fallen in love with George? :love:

13. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    The link Alaskaboers posted is the one I look at too! Very good info there

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    keren...geogre is pretty amazing looking, some reason reminds of mini boer.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Pygmys are like a barrel on legs, they tend to have shorter bodies then nigies as well as being wider. Sort of like a box with round corners. Both breeds tend to have wide faces. the biggest thing is pygmys were originally bred for meat (though they have become more of a pet now) and nigies were bred for dairy. They tend to be taller and more refined, and produce a lot more milk then pygmies.
    other breeds are mellow and easy to handle (unless you get un handled ones)
    beth

16. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks! :D I really love George. Registered, good lines, friendly, everything I want and I only paid $185. Best purchase EVER! :) Thanks. :D

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Alec, I have plenty pics on my site of my pygmy buck Hank as well as my 2 nigerian dwarfs Binky and Chief, the others are pygmy/nigi crosses, so you can tell the "characteristics" of those 2 breeds crossed. I can tell by looking at Jesus and hister that they are a cross of pygmy/nigi, the color and length of leg is saying nigi but the shorter necks and bodies are saying pygmy. Very cute too :love: